Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very cold tolerant, shade loving, winter flowering plants?

Posted by sardonicus 7 (euphoric_misanthropy@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Nov 5, 11 at 18:30

I've got a room in my house that gets very cold in the winter and as a result gets used very little. I would like to find some flowering plants that can be grown indoors with very little sunlight, that will tolerate the cold and flower in the winter. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very cold tolerant, shade loving, winter flowering plants?

How cold does the room get and which direction does a window face? Toni

o

I'd say at its coldest it gets down around 20 and the window faces east but there are trees around it that limit the sunlight considerably. I do have some little grow lights that I could probably setup to offset the light issue a little.

o

I think it'll be tough to find something that will bloom under those conditions.The majority of plants that flower indoors are tropical plants that, while they might survive temps that low, probably wouldn't actively grow during such low temps. Additionally, a lot of flowering plants require high light levels to have the energy to bloom indoors.
That being said, here's what I would try:
Cyclamen is a winter bloomer that prefers cool temps so you could try buying one already in bloom and see if it can survive in there.

If you wouldn't mind a non-flowering plant, the Norfolk Island Pine tends to be tolerant of cool temperatures and shade - but you'd probably want to give it some protection on the nights that the temp in there dips below 25 degrees or so. I think the Norfolk Island Pine is quite handsome even without blooms, and they're commonly sold during this time of year for 'living Christmas trees'

It's kind of a strange idea, but another idea you could try, if you can find any Icicle pansies on clearance, would be to see if they would grow in there.
Pansies definitely flower freely during cold weather (as long as it doesn't freeze) but I'm not sure how they would do indoors and if the light levels in there would be enough. I just mention it because I've experimented on occasions with outdoor annuals as houseplants and some of them do well.
Impatiens also makes a pretty decent houseplant that can potentially bloom indoors, but I'm not sure how impatiens would do with the temperature drops that this room experiences.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here