Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuroc

pics of my house plants.

kuroc
12 years ago

Hello everyone I haven't posted on garden web in a while.

I just wanted to post some pics of my current house plants.

Here is a pic of my favorite foliage plants so far crotons:

{{gwi:113831}}

Here is a pic of my money tree:

{{gwi:113834}}

Here is a pic of my bromeliad pups:

{{gwi:113835}}

here is a pic of my golden pothos:

{{gwi:113836}}

Here is a pic of my melocactus azureus:

{{gwi:113837}}

Here is a pic of my other cactus I don't what it is called:

{{gwi:113838}}

Here is a pic of my sago palm:

{{gwi:113839}}

Here is a pic of my dracaena:

{{gwi:113840}}

Here is a pic of my coleus:

{{gwi:113841}}

Comments (13)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Kuroc:

Thanks for sharing. I never had success with Crotons. I admire those that can keep them going. :-)

Mike

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Love your pics! Always nice to "see" another kindred spirit with coleus cutting in water bottle. Your Dracaena looks really robust, very nice. Love the trunk of the money tree.

My crotons have always been killed by spider mites. Be on the lookout for them. The foliage pattern makes the damage harder to see than on most other plants. But since your plants are alive, you probably already know that.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Welcome back, Kuroc.
    Very nice plants. I too like your Braided Pachira. Beautiful Croton. It's so colorful.
    Are your Bromilaid shoots rooted or rooting? If rooting, how long?

I also like your unknown Cactus. I had one years ago. The only name it had was Strawberry Cactus..But that's not a real name. lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing.
    Looks as though the soil is on its last leg and desperately needs to be replaced.
    The Crotons especially are suffering the ill effects.

Josh

• kuroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The problem is I can't find any aquatic plant soil around here anymore used to use it for all my plants.
    Any suggestions for a replacement? some one mentioned useing a oil dry product.

Right now I'm using a mix of sphagnum peat moss,composted, cow manure, potting soil, and orchid bark.
    It seems to work all right for right now. May repot next spring in a better mix if I can the right ingredients.

I feed them about every two weeks with a half strength liquid fertilizer. Also last Sunday I crushed up some of my muti vitamin/mineral(1 per gallon of water) so they could get all the trace elements they needed. Was that a good idea?

Also I've only had the crotons for 2 weeks so far. So they haven't had time to establish a good root system yet.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Kuroc...Why would you need aquatic plant soil? What is it? lol.

There are different soils and soil-less mediums listed here on GW.
    I use bagged, house plant soil with additional Perlite, pea gravel and coarse sand. 'Depending on the plant.'
    Tropicals, 'not succulents/cactus' that require acidic soil get a little Peat.

Cow Manure is too harsh for house plants..I hope it's aged. New manure will burn roots. OUCH!

Drop the other mediums, stick with potting soil and bark.

I stop fertilizing plants before Nov, continue in March or once new growth forms.
    If you must, use 1/4 strength, once a month.

LOL, I've added vitamins, too, but there are numerous fertilizers on the market that contain nutrients.

Crotons halt growth this time of year, 'here in IL,' but I don't know how much growth produces in AR during winter months. Toni

• kuroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oops it supposed to say composted cow manure.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Kuroc...composted or not, cow manure is pretty harsh. Do you use it as a fertilizer?

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Kurac,

Some interesting plants. I suggest you add at least 1/3 volume of perlite to the mix for your Croton, that looks too peaty for it. Crotons want quite a lot of water, mix needs to be fast draining to allow that without rot problems. They also would benefit from a pebble tray.

I'm w/ Josh in being concerned w/ the mix. If it were mine to say, I'd put my energy into amending the soil & less into fertilizer.

• plantmasterm
    12 years ago

Hi Kurac, do you mind if I ask what city you're in because Im in Ar as well and have always been told that we were zone 7b..also would others of you mind posting pics of your plants..I absolutely love seeing pics of plants specially since the weather is cooling way down..thx guys

• plantomaniac08
    12 years ago

Kurac,
    Your "unknown" cactus looks like Ferocactus latispinus. Common names for it include Devil's Tongue Barrel, Crow's Claw Cactus, and Fish Hook Cactus.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello plantmasterm I live in texarkana which is in south west AR.

• plantmasterm
    12 years ago

thx Kuroc