Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pics of my house plants.

Posted by kuroc z8 AR (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 18:37

Hello everyone I haven't posted on garden web in a while.
I just wanted to post some pics of my current house plants.

Here is a pic of my favorite foliage plants so far crotons:
Photobucket

Here is a pic of my money tree:
Photobucket

Here is a pic of my bromeliad pups:
Photobucket

here is a pic of my golden pothos:
Photobucket

Here is a pic of my melocactus azureus:
Photobucket

Here is a pic of my other cactus I don't what it is called:
Photobucket

Here is a pic of my sago palm:
Photobucket

Here is a pic of my dracaena:
Photobucket

Here is a pic of my coleus:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics of my house plants.

Kuroc:

Thanks for sharing. I never had success with Crotons. I admire those that can keep them going. :-)

Mike

o

Love your pics! Always nice to "see" another kindred spirit with coleus cutting in water bottle. Your Dracaena looks really robust, very nice. Love the trunk of the money tree.

My crotons have always been killed by spider mites. Be on the lookout for them. The foliage pattern makes the damage harder to see than on most other plants. But since your plants are alive, you probably already know that.

o

Welcome back, Kuroc.
Very nice plants. I too like your Braided Pachira. Beautiful Croton. It's so colorful.
Are your Bromilaid shoots rooted or rooting? If rooting, how long?

I also like your unknown Cactus. I had one years ago. The only name it had was Strawberry Cactus..But that's not a real name. lol

o

Thanks for sharing.
Looks as though the soil is on its last leg and desperately needs to be replaced.
The Crotons especially are suffering the ill effects.

Josh

o

The problem is I can't find any aquatic plant soil around here anymore used to use it for all my plants.
Any suggestions for a replacement? some one mentioned useing a oil dry product.

Right now I'm using a mix of sphagnum peat moss,composted, cow manure, potting soil, and orchid bark.
It seems to work all right for right now. May repot next spring in a better mix if I can the right ingredients.

I feed them about every two weeks with a half strength liquid fertilizer. Also last Sunday I crushed up some of my muti vitamin/mineral(1 per gallon of water) so they could get all the trace elements they needed. Was that a good idea?

Also I've only had the crotons for 2 weeks so far. So they haven't had time to establish a good root system yet.

o

Kuroc...Why would you need aquatic plant soil? What is it? lol.

There are different soils and soil-less mediums listed here on GW.
I use bagged, house plant soil with additional Perlite, pea gravel and coarse sand. 'Depending on the plant.'
Tropicals, 'not succulents/cactus' that require acidic soil get a little Peat.

Cow Manure is too harsh for house plants..I hope it's aged. New manure will burn roots. OUCH!

Drop the other mediums, stick with potting soil and bark.

I stop fertilizing plants before Nov, continue in March or once new growth forms.
If you must, use 1/4 strength, once a month.

LOL, I've added vitamins, too, but there are numerous fertilizers on the market that contain nutrients.

Crotons halt growth this time of year, 'here in IL,' but I don't know how much growth produces in AR during winter months. Toni

o

oops it supposed to say composted cow manure.

o

Kuroc...composted or not, cow manure is pretty harsh. Do you use it as a fertilizer?

o

Hi Kurac,

Some interesting plants. I suggest you add at least 1/3 volume of perlite to the mix for your Croton, that looks too peaty for it. Crotons want quite a lot of water, mix needs to be fast draining to allow that without rot problems. They also would benefit from a pebble tray.

I'm w/ Josh in being concerned w/ the mix. If it were mine to say, I'd put my energy into amending the soil & less into fertilizer.

o

Hi Kurac, do you mind if I ask what city you're in because Im in Ar as well and have always been told that we were zone 7b..also would others of you mind posting pics of your plants..I absolutely love seeing pics of plants specially since the weather is cooling way down..thx guys

o

Kurac,
Your "unknown" cactus looks like Ferocactus latispinus. Common names for it include Devil's Tongue Barrel, Crow's Claw Cactus, and Fish Hook Cactus.

o

Hello plantmasterm I live in texarkana which is in south west AR.

o

thx Kuroc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here