Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mentha_gw

Look at the dates please

Mentha
13 years ago

Look at the dates before you reply to a post please. I am still getting replies to posts over 3 years old and it is kind of annoying. Start a new thread please if you see a post has been dormant for a while. Have some courtesy.

Comments (21)

• jean001
    13 years ago

That's one of the reasons I don't check the box to send the response to me. I always check back on my own. (It's one of those live & learn sort of things.)

• plantmasterm
    13 years ago

why not remove post after say 2-3 yrs

• dellis326 (Danny)
    13 years ago

There would be information that is useful in older posts that would be lost if deleted. Every time I use the search function threads pop up that are 4 - 5 years old that are still very relevant.

It would be much more appropriate for people to start a new thread with a link to the old one they are referring to.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It appears there is more in play than just the annoyance that might be associated with just someone posting to an old thread. Mentha indicated she 'wouldn't be coming back to the forum anytime soon', which causes me to speculate she's troubled by something other than a post to an old thread showing up in her mail box. That's the forum's loss, she was a valuable and helpful contributor, and I, for one, noticed her absence.

Personally, I'm always glad to see a thread I started a long time ago revived, but almost all of my threads are informational instead of inquisitive, which also makes a difference.

To me, it seems like a judgment call, as to whether or not a post to an old thread is appropriate. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable posting a question that piggybacked on an old thread if it was on topic, but I also wouldn't waste my time offering a solution to a problem that was discussed in a thread back in '07. I DO know that I SURE as heck wouldn't post an advertisement for a prefabricated house, like some other dummy did, and is what rankled Mentha to begin with. I can see where THAT, on top of the fact she might not be feeling particularly charitable toward the forum right now (if indeed that is the case) might have been a little much.

Just my take - YMMV.

Al

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Out of respect for the number of Threads already active on these Fora,
    I have tried many times to keep my personal updates to a single Thread.
    However, after a year or so (in certain cases), I've noticed that my
    Threads no longer rise to the first page when someone posts a question,
    or when I am ready to provide an update. I don't like starting duplicate
    Threads, although I always link to older Threads that are related.

I'm not sure why this glitch exists, and I haven't noticed it with other's Threads....

I assumed I'd angered the "Gods" in some fashion.

Josh

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

When I was new to gardenweb, or shall I say before I signed up to gardenweb, I would go on searching quest to find information on gardening. Well 8 out 10 times I would be brought to a post on garden web. Ughh, I did not want to sign up so I would read the thread and move on. Then one day while on another search quest I hit a post that had not been answered. In my mind I figured if someone else shows interest in that topic someone may answer it. So I quickly registered, and posted, boy I was excited. Well I got an answer, which I was thrilled. A few weeks later I discovered that was a very OLD post.

Point being, even if current members see this post while it is current, the info will be there for years to come. There will always be a new member that finds this forum from search quest, that have no idea about dates of threads. In other words feel honored that your info is out there being viewed, by new and old. :)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I just took a closer look at the post in reference. 6 people signed up to garden web the same day they posted on that thread.

13 years ago

Care to share it? ;o)

Al

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I get that Menth's peeved. Can't she just de-select the option to email her any responses? (I never selected that option in the first place, thought I'd regret it.)

Newbies aren't going to know anything about the dates or the etiquette of not posting a new topic or question to an existing thread.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Here you go tapla!!

I have sometimes thought about clicking that option, after this post I don't believe that is a great idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: post in reference

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

I personally would be happy if someone resurrected an old post of mine, not annoyed. And you can opt out of email.

Christopher

13 years ago

I agree, with a few qualifications/reservations, but how do you opt out of receiving emails after the fact - after you've checked the 'Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you' box?

Al

13 years ago

I don't believe *any* sort of editing is possible at these boards.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

I just tried it out, you simply uncheck the email box in your profile. This will stop email in future. If you didn't want the email responses and checked that you did, your bad for doing so, IMHO

Josh, you can't edit the posts after the fact, but you can edit settings in your profile at any time.

Christopher

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Yes, I checked it out last night as well, & found that the Member Profile is able to be edited.

I'd forgetten where to check about the Emails, that's not at the Member Profile, but rather I pretended I was sending myself an email & that's where, at that email screen was the box to check/uncheck about receiving the emails as well.

13 years ago

Chris that's a good idea. Putting your email address in the "My Page" area near your moniker
    is a great solution, if one still wishes to be contacted by members without being notified of Thread replies.
    Of course the Profile can be edited...not Threads or posts, however.

Josh

13 years ago

So are we saying that if, when you originally start a thread, you check the box that says you want the replies to go to your email (I always do), you can disable those e-mails by opening your user page and disabling ALL emails?

That seems sort of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater for people like me that may have a dozen or more active threads they/I wish to be notified of replies to. Plus, it eliminates people's ability to ask questions or just say hey; so it seems that unless you want all communication cut off, there is no viable solution ..... unless I'm missing something?

I just hope Mentha didn't check that box when she started THIS thread. ;o) That would really be the pits.

Al

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I was wondering the same thing, Tapla.

I didn't understand if she was done with garden web or just this forum. If she is done with garden web, then I think stopping all email would be no biggie.

13 years ago

Yeah, I think you got it, Al - it's an All-or-Nothing sort of thing...

Not very effective if one still wishes to be notified.

Josh

• Mentha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al, It's nice to know I've been missed. I haven't been here in over a year. I haven't been to any gardening site for that long. I've found myself to be a fake and not worthy of giving advise since I've lost almost all of my plants.

When GW first started up there was no way to remove your email notifications once you've clicked the box. I've been through 7 or 8 email addresses since I first signed up 15 years ago. That was however when Spike still owned GW and you were sent to Disney for posting curse words. I'll have to go look and see if I can change my profile.

13 years ago

Lol - I've never once used a curse word on the forums, not even close, but I have had a disagreement or two that got me temporarily banished to Oz. ;o)

IMO, I think you're being too hard on yourself. You always had good insight and plenty of good info to offer. There may have been times when our paths diverged slightly, but I think we were always pretty much on the same page .... at least you always kept an open mind and were cordial, which in itself is conducive to every one's ability to learn. I hope, if you have the time and inclination, that you'll rejoin us. ;o) If not, do take care, and good luck! I really did wonder more than once at where you disappeared to.

If you celebrate Christmas, have a very merry one. If not, have a good holiday season.

Al

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert