Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Beautiful plants at super store cheap.

Hello,

I've been looking around again at my local Wal-Marts. In the back behind the Christmas stuff they put all their house plants. All are reduced down for clearance. Some beautiful Sansevieria Trifasciata types unmarked. They look like medium growing types with wide black leaves. Some pots have them with gold edges. A 6 inch pot busting at the seams for $2.50. I almost bought some. I just don't have room. What is upsetting for me is nobody seems to care about these plants in this area. I'm all along here. Sad but true.

Stush

I just have to build myself a green house.

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hi Stush. Most big box stores, including HD, usually ignore plants.
    I find this happens more with tropicals and succulents, than spring, garden plants.

My closest Walmart used to have plants galore until they remodled. The last time we visited, the only plants displayed were decorated, Norfolk Island Pines. No Christmas/Thanksgiving Cactus or Poinsettias. Nothing!!!

But, you're soooo right. Before remodeling, Walmart had two aisles filled w/plants, sat w/o water or care. So many were dead, yet the prices stayed the same.

Then again, if you got there when plants were first delivered the selection was great and plants, healthy.

Stush, there's ALWAYS room, lol. Sans don't take much space. Most can sit on a windowsill for years w/o repotting. They're slow-growers,. and do best when a little root-bound.

Go back and get a one, or two or three. lol. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

There doesn't seem to be a uniform policy regarding WM's garden section, the same store can be totally different from year to year, and stores near each other don't always have sales or clearance at the same time. I don't think any of them have a clue how much more they could sell if they made better/more timely/property maintained use of the space. However, since they can't even keep the grocery shelves stocked, or pay more than 2 cashiers at a time, it's not surprising.

• eahamel
    12 years ago

I've found some orchids at both Lowe's and HD that are good buys recently, too. One small pot had two phalenopsis inbloom, for $9.00. Got a good gold Ascocenda for $12.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Stush,

That's just how it is, I'm sorry to say, but that's what I've observed too. I use a local HD which mistreats some of their stuff, their staff has confessed to me that they're instructed to water TWICE A DAY, no wonder things are often dripping wet!

I've found it's helpful to learn which days your local shop gets deliveries, then get there same day, or next morning, before they've had a chance to mistreat the plants too much.

I find all kinds of things, from time to time. It's partly that the store doesn't really know/appreciate what they've got, nor does most of the public. Sometimes I find less common Hoyas, once in a while a nice Sans. (mostly S. moonshine). I can't save them all, so I settle for just a few every once in a while.

• Martalan
    12 years ago

how about grape tree?It grow very fast.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

Sanseverias don't need very much water. We had two big old ones next to our fireplace that got no real light. They were quite happy there. All the box stores and even the local feed store is poor about their watering habits. I feel so sorry for the plants. I think the plants are there on consignment from the huge nurseries down south.