Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yasha_gw

Question about Rex Begonia

yasha
9 years ago

I have two in a small 10 gallon tank atm along with Fittonia, Pearls and Jade Pothos, Marble Queen Pothos, Silver Philodendron, Brasil Philodendron, Satin Pellionia, and Pilea Aluminum. All moving to a 29 gallon after we move.

I would like to know what is up with a few markings on the Rex's leaves. I'm not sure if its just damage or where they may have got water on them or maybe a bug?
They leafs are growing in size and they have new little bugs on them.

In fact most of the plants in there have new leaves.

Here's a few pictures.
{{gwi:113930}}
{{gwi:113931}}
{{gwi:113932}}
{{gwi:113933}}

Ps. I know the soil is really bad but it was all I had at the time they seem happy in it tho. lol

This post was edited by yasha on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 19:23

Comments (5)

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

begonia forum would be better for the Q.
    the leaves are just getting older and the color fades - it's normal.
    begonia rex needs bright light. very bright light to maintain good growth and color. it looks like you have a fluo-fixture over the tank - so that should be good.
    you got me scared a moment with 'little bugs' - but i realized you're talking about buds!:)))). those are flower buds.
    as far as scratches on leaves - that's physical damage. the leaves are very tender and get damaged very easily.
    i see some dry edges on younger leaves that i don't like. that can be from keeping it too dry. if soggy it rots, if too dry it dries up ;).
    it's not an easy plant. it's the most difficult in your tank.
    it needs very high humidity too - but in terrarium it should get that.
    though your soil looks bone dry - so may be it's NOT getting it?

• yasha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I posted this in the wrong place then. Thank you for replying. Also sorry this seems to have turned in to a very long post.

The top of the soil is very dry almost turns to rocks however it is wet right under the top part. Maybe a little to wet under the top but I did just water it before the picture. You can kind of see the wet part in the front left corner. I may have left it to long in between the last watering In fact I believe I did. It really is VERY bad soil. I hate it and want to change it but we want to move them to a 29 gallon after we move so I'm guessed the soil works for now. I believe the humidity in there was in the 70s last I looked
    The plants are growing nicely and the rex even have buds on them so there not to unhappy. I was thinking that the buds were the start of new leaves (hits head). Can't wait to see the flowers now.lol

I think I remember reading that they really don't like water on there leaves so I use a syringe most of the time to water right under them without getting water on them.

And they do have a light sitting right on top of them I turn on every morning when i get up and off every night before bed. They are also very close to the light only a inch away now.

Sorry I did mean buds I have a problem with spelling and on top of that with righting down the right word even when I know how to spell it but I think in that case I was just thinking I really hope it isn't some kind of bug and typed what I was thinking at over the word I meant to type.

They had a lot of scratches before I got them and more now it seems. My cat keeps falling in the tank as it's only a temporary home (tank and place of the tank) with a temporary plastic wrap led in front of the light. I just wanted to try a tank of plants and I'm a very impatient person when I get something in my head I have to try it ASAP. In the new house there going to be moved to a 29 gallon with vine plants on the outside of the tank, the TV under it and a fish tank under the TV or at least that's my idea so far. We have still yet to find a place.

I'll check the soil around the plants to make sure maybe the spot right around them is to dry and the middle of the tank isn't. Thank you for letting me know I seem to have a problem telling when leafs look to dry. I however don't want to over water. I have killed plants by over watering and seems most believe it's easier to kill that way then under watering.

I was thinking the Rex Begonia was a easy plant. It seems to like my tank better then most of the other plants. The Marble rooted in there from a cutting and has new leaves same with the Pellionia (got 3 little roots in water before moving in there). The others are just there really.
    I really seem to have a way with the more difficult ones even when I don't know they are difficult. lol I sadly killed my spider plants but have kept and revived some that are said to be harder.

Here is a picture not long after I got the plant before I took it out of the cup I had it in for a few day/weeks (don't remember how long). I split 1 pot in to 3 and kept them in the cups to see how I wanted to do the tank.

• yasha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Link doesn't seem to want to work so here's the picture.
    Again thank you

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

looking at new 4? begonia leaves coming up AND flowers - i'd say you're doing things right. the color is deep too - so light should be good. or it won't flower otherwise.
    have a look at leaf edges though on new leaves, make sure they are not drying up, as that would be from being too-dry.
    the rest of plants look very good. so i think you're OK.
    copy the url from this post and then paste it under the new message (optional link url) in begonia forum just in case.
    so you don't have to retype too much.
    there are more knowledgeable people there then me.

• yasha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. You sound like you are sure of your answers and I trust them so I don't think I need anymore help on the question. Again thank you I will go look around on there and see what info there is. I hope you have a nice day.