Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boothbay_gw

Thoughts ???

boothbay
11 years ago

What type of plant is this and is there something wrong with it by appearance? This plant is constantly flowering, although this picture does not show them now, after bringing it indoors..but even indoors, in a south sunny window it will bloom, but not as much as outdoors. It has long umbels of red flowers that are messy, unfortunately as they die back and the leaves are constantly cause a sight as they decay. I believe its in the Geranium family, not sure. Would love to find the culture of this plant if possible.

Comments (13)

• amccour
    11 years ago

Some kind of Zonal Pelargonium hybrid. Looks fine to me. You could prune it if you want it to get bushier I guess.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Yes, that's Pelargonium x hortorum (common geranium). Looks like it needs a severe pruning and as much light as you can provide. You can use the clippings to make some stem cuttings for new plants. Geranium cuttings are easy to root, as long as they are prepared properly and inserted into an appropriate medium.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi Boothbay. I invited booth to come on over here, over from name-that-plant, to get some help keeping this plant healthy.

I'm concerned it may have some kind of pests, but really not sure, maybe it's just stretching for more light while inside. Something about the leaves doesn't look right, and there are some white spots that are a mystery to me. Any thoughts on that? I'm not very familiar with Pels, except killing them.

• boothbay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Purpleinopp....i do not see any white spots that your talking about ...but i do agree it needs more light and its straggling..I suspected it was in the Geranium family and was looking for the specific title for it...is it the Geranium ivy? The flowers are not the typical Geranium flowers one sees in most window box's. I would try to include a picture of the flowers when I start getting them.

11 years ago

Well nobody has offered any info about seeing anything wrong, pest-wise, so that's good. I put some red circles around the white spots I see, maybe just dust or something equally as non-threatening, I hope. Absolutely hope you get some more flowers!!

There are several hundred species of Pelargonium, and who-knows-how-many hybrids. It may be hard to determine which you have, but flowers would definitely help.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Pelargonium, tough as old boots, cut it back to within an inch of its life and itll bounce right back. Give as much sun as you can, allow the soil to dry out between waterings( they dont like wet roots) and avoid misting!

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Well, I could see the white things that purple was talking about, but I really don't know of anything that is likely to attack pelargonium. That is half their value, I think. Tough as old boots as larry says. But the photo is too small for me to get a good look. I enlarge it and it doesn't look like anything I can recognize. Maybe booth can get a hand lens and look at the white things and make sure they aren't bugs?

I would also cut this back and put it in as strong a light as I could. Then in Spring I would cut it back again and repot and put it outside as soon as it gets warm enough to not get below 28 degrees F. Light frosts don't kill these.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I dont see any spots on the leaved. To me its showing signs of either frost damage (they are very cold tender) or overwatering, possibly too much humidity, misting?

• boothbay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took the suggestion to cut it back and now i will propagate the cuttings and wait and see

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Booth, how hard did you cut it. You can really go to town on these plants as this edit I made shows.

11 years ago

I hope that goes well, I love to play with propagation too! What else can we do with booth's pic? I don't know, but even the queen is smiling about the imaginary trimming Larry did.

The one I have is obviously different, scented like citronella, but the general advice to keep it dry I agree with. It's looking much better since I changed it to a more porous soil and don't water until it feels ever-so-slightly limp and very lightweight.

• amccour
    11 years ago

Why does your plant have a the Queen infestation?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

By Royal appointment eh!