Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will07_gw

Ready for Christmas!

Will07
10 years ago

Yes I know it's not a real Xmas cactus but I wanted to show off my thanksgiving cactus! Besides Thanksgiving was last month up here. Her first flower opened yesterday and more are soon to follow.

She's got more blooms this year than last and possibly even more than when I first got her. I used African violet soil and she loves it. She is quite pot bound but I don't want to transplant.

Comments (19)

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

Very nice! what kind of care do holiday cacti need? do they need bright light/direct sun? I'd like to get one someday.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow, you guys are waaaay ahead of me here in FL, might doesn't even have any buds yet...at least for another month before I see any flowers :o(...Yours is very pretty!!

Pumpkineater...below is article on Holiday Cactus...they prefer bright/indirect sun...let soil dry out somewhat before watering it well...loves to summer outside under some shade trees and bring inside before first frost...should bloom soon after. Shortening of days along with cooler temperatures trigger blooms...

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Cactus care and tips...

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Some radio stations are already playing Christmas music!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

My thanksgiving cactus is budding up nicely. It's a new one I bought this year. Haven't had one in a few years. Re-potted it in orchid bark mix and it loves it.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I guess I spoke too soon...a couple of my TC's have a few teeny weeny buds starting to form, Yay!! About the size of a pinhead,lol...at least its budding up!

• teisa
    10 years ago

I checked mine after seeing everyone's post. Mine too is getting "pinked up". I bought it last year so I'm excited it's reblooming!

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I've also got some teeny weeny pink buds starting to show, its amazing how excited we can get over our flowers :>)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Lolol..

If I look for them on mine, I'm afraid they won't bloom..So I forget about them and happen to stumble upon them when cleaning my room hiding under all my other plants and to my surprise, they are all in bloom...!

Very nice everyone..

Hello great friend Nancy!

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Will, your TC's looking great...Congrats on the blooms.

What size is the pot? Just curious.

toni

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hey Mike!! Ditto :o)

Hey Toni!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

When I first saw this post, I didn't think there were any buds on my plants but they are starting to show. I hope this one is a similar color to your pretty flowers, Will!

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an update she's looking pretty full of blooms

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And a close up

10 years ago

Oooh those ARE pretty. They're porange (pinkish orange?)

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's more 'champagne'. It never shows up in true colour in any pic I take of it. Maybe I'll try taking a pic in sunlight next time the sun decides to come out.

10 years ago

I have the same issue trying to take pics of purple plants. By any description, your flowers are very pretty!

Is that your shower curtain behind it? I wish our bathroom had a big enough window for some humidity loving plants. (Or do you just find that a good place for photos?)

This little TC plant (that was a cutting stuck in this planter in the spring) has the most developed buds of any TC plants at my house at the moment.

{{gwi:114038}}

{{gwi:114039}}

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, the pot is a 7" plain grower pot. The original plant was in a 6" pot much shallower so I broke up some styrofoam and put it at the bottom of this newer one. It's quite pot bound now and I have to water it in the bathtub several times each time I water because the water runs right through.

Purple, you are correct it is my shower curtain and not some hideous set of curtains! I find this is the best place right now to take pics. That's quite the interesting display of potted plants. It looks like they are planted in orchid bark but I'm assuming its a mix of other things as well. What is that one in the back left? I feel like I know what it is but can't put my finger on it. The red TC is really interesting, I've seen several posts on the forums about them. Also your hanging TC looks really healthy. Does it stay in the sun all day like this all day?
    Thanks for sharing!

10 years ago

I think you are asking about Persian shield - with the purple leaves? (Strobilanthes dyerianus.) I like to take pics of my plants while they are getting a drink too, separate from the herd, so to speak. Bathroom is often the place!

That metal planter thing was right there when I moved here almost 7 years ago. It doesn't seem to have a bottom. On top is leaves that fell off of the tree it's under, too much space between the top of the soil and the rim, catching them too well. I've added some compost to the planter, but a stump in there prevents exchanging yard dirt for compost as much as I'd like, though is settling fast, high hopes for when I inspect again in spring.

When frost threatens, I will probably scoop that TC out and squeeze it somewhere into a pot coming inside. The rest of the stuff is hardy, or I've already taken cuttings. There was a lot more to the whole area a few weeks ago.

Yes, the plant I showed Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 15:49 has sun hitting it all day. June-July, there was a shadow on it for an hour or so right about noon, but it's been hanging right there since spring.

• Will07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've finally found out what poor humidity will do. The pics I took was the prime of my TC. Now, after the cold weather and the humidity dropped below 50% (sometimes to 40%) all the new buds started to fall off. I'm so mad, feel like a failure! Now I'm hopping the Easter cactus beside her will bloom come summer.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz