Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White powder on bromeliad and funky hoya leaves?

Posted by squidy WA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 19:59

Okay, I have 2 questions. Is this stuff on my bromeliad normal?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I see it in some pictures of bromeliads, but not all. Is it supposed to be there? Is it from hard water sitting in the cup or something? Is it fungus?

And my little hoya:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Is it okay the underside of the leaf looks like this? Not all of them do, just a couple. It's been like that for a long time, but it hasn't gotten any worse. What caused this? Fungus? Should I get a fungicide? Or just leave it since it's not spreading?

I got these plants from someone else, and they already looked like this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White powder on bromeliad and funky hoya leaves?

Howdy Squidy,

The powdery stuff on your Bromiliad is normal. I've never thought to read what is it or why Broms are covered in this powder, (which I should) but no need to worry. It's not a fungus.

Can't help with the Hoya. If no one here has an answer, perhaps you should try the Hoya Forum.

However, that leaf would have to go, and any others. Toni

o
RE: White powder on bromeliad and funky hoya leaves?

Hi Squidy,

I agree that the white on the Bromeliad is normal. I think it's sun a form of sun protection, the same as some succulents have which is called bloom.

I grow Hoyas & those leaves are not normal, don't know what that is, would be curious to see the rest of the plants & rest & top of the leaves. Frankly, if that were mine, I think I'd toss it, sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here