Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daffodilian

Help ID a plant?

daffodilian
11 years ago

Hello! I had what I thought was a hoya but turns out it's not. I'm trying to figure out what it is. Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• amccour
    11 years ago

Pedilanthus tithalymoides of some sort.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

yes, devil backbone, A very interesting clone, at first glance my first though was hoya, it looks alot like my noodle plant.

Very nice, im sure theres lots of folks that covet that little beauty on GW, including me!

Commonly succulent collectors have a taste for these, you may cross post there for more info if no one here has an exact id.

You should find plenty of info on growing it with ease

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I've never seen one of those before. That's a neat looking plant! Marg

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Daffo...at first glance I too thought it Hindu Rope, Hoya...

What a beaut! It's so unusual. Where did you find it? Toni

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

While attempting to find Daffo's plant, without success, I I discovered Pedilanthus tithymaloides name has been changed to Euphorbia tithymaloides. Sheesh, another to remember!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Well no it hasnt changed to Euphorbia. It used to be called Euphorbia but the geneticists decided it was distinct enough to have its own genus so...
    Maybe some have decided it should be Euphorbia again?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry... the name change was stated on Wikipedia. Wiki updates often.. Pedilanthus update took place, 10-29-2012.

Before searching Daffo's plant today, I had no idea the name changed or whatever the case may be.

BTW, Larry, glad you responded. I was starting to worry about you. :)
    You said you were going to post Spider pics, but didn't, and I hadn't seen you post on other threads..
    Anyway, glad you're okay..Toni

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

The thing with Wiki is the entries are mostly submitted by non professionals-anyone can put info up there (I have an entry on Plum Tree bark there) so its really only a guide. But I guess it could be correct- UBC will know for sure...

• daffodilian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the research and help! I did suspect it was a Variegated Devil's Backbone because the leaves and stem were exactly the same (See link here: http://bitly.com/SA6KyH) but couldn't find any images of any cultivars that had the twisted leaves like mine.

Toni - I found unlabeled at the Half Moon Bay nursery here in Norcal. It was organized with the hindu rope hoyas and the checkout guy told me it was one. However, when I got home and tried to google it, I couldn't find a single version of the hindu rope hoya that looked remotely like it, leading me to suspect it was a different plant altogether

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Devil's Backbone

• daffodilian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, I finally found a photo! This site says it is a Euphorbia tithymaloides ssp. smallii (i.e "Curly"). Can't believe I finally exact IDed this plant. Couldn't have done it without all of your help!

https://florafaunaweb.nparks.gov.sg/special-pages/plant-detail.aspx?id=4895

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Devil's Backbone ('Curly')

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Euphorbia tithymaloides was renamed Pedilanthes tithymaloides a while back, but I don't know how long ago. Id'ing a plant has become about pointless unless you want to learn at least 2 names for every plant, then check about once a week to see if it's been changed.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Larry is right about Wikipedia, as a student if you used that as a reference in any of your assignments you'd be crucified. It's not accepted as a reliable authority by any tertiary institute. Anything can be/anyone can publish in Wikipedia, nothing is checked or verified. What it's mainly used for is to get leads on information which you then try to research and verify elsewhere.

But about the current status of this plant:
    Pedilanthus smallii Millsp.
    Pedilanthus tithymaloides subsp. smallii (Millsp.) Dressler
    Tithymalus smallii (Millsp.) Small

All the above are synonyms of Euphorbia tithymaloides subsp. smallii (Millsp.) V.W.Steinm.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry. I assumed whomever posted information on Wiki, despite subject, had to do extensive research.
    Can't recall the owners? of Wiki, but do they not read before allowing information to be published?

Daffo..you lucked out. What a find!

Sorry, don't know where Norcal is located.

Come spring if all is well, I might hunt down this plant. lol. I have a variegated devil's Backbone, but yours is much much nicer.

Purple, how long ago do you mean? In my old plantbooks, 'some from the 70's,' ID's DB as Pedilanthus, not Euphorbia.

Tropic. I truly understand your comment. Assignments should be researched via books/various sites, thorough study before handing in
    If a subject was based on Wiki alone, the student should be crucified..Well, not literally. :)

• amccour
    11 years ago

"Anything can be/anyone can publish in Wikipedia, nothing is checked or verified."

I think the bigger issue with Wikipedia is that it's not original research. If you cite a wikipedia article, you're essentially citing someone else's research paper. Not exactly plagiarism, but you didn't do any of the legwork yourself, and you're using someone else's interpretation of the research.

(If you really want to cite wikipedia, just use the works cited section from the bottom of the wikipedia article you're using. Not that hard).

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

There are sections of wikipedia that have technical info submitted by trusted professionals or organisations. Wikispecies is one such section. Dig around, lot of good stuff on there!