Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogg1967

Mystery Fern?

dogg1967
10 years ago

Picked this little beauty up at the local grocery store for $3 and the tag only said "Fern Asst in Overpot". Any idea on what kind of fern exactly? Also, any advice on care, if you happen to have experience with one? Thanks!

{{gwi:114170}}

{{gwi:114172}}

Comments (15)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

I'm not certain, and am having Google problems.
    Google Blue Star Fern. Toni

• dogg1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It appears you have pushed me in the right direction Toni... the bluish-green foliage and the lobed leaves (fronds) make it a Blue Star Fern. Now, does anyone out in the Gardenweb universe own one that is thriving? If so please feel free to share your expertise. Thanks.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hey Dogg, :)

To be honest, the reason I 'pushed you in the right direction' may be because I have a Blue Star Fern. :)

My fern isn't going to win any awards though. lol
    Still, it's lived longer than thin-frond ferns.

My Blue Star is kept in an unobstructed north window year round.
    At one time, it was summered outdoors, but we have ant problems, so it hasn't been outside in 2-yrs.
    It did great outdoors, from spring-autumn.

I fertilize ferns, 3 times a year with Azalea/Rhodo fertilizer. 3-month pellet type.

This is only my opinion, but Blue Star doesn't need as much humidity as other ferns. Ex, Adiantum/Boston. Still, it's misted daily.

I guess that's about it. Unless you have other questions.

Your Blue Star is nice and full. Very compact.

Toni

• dogg1967
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Toni and Petrushka for the care tips. We'll see how this little Blue Star does near a west window this winter and move it to a north vantage point for the summer rays (or maybe even outside). Your advice is much appreciated!

• Vanessa Arp
    6 years ago

I know this is a few years old, but, petrushka, I was wondering if you could please tell me what I should have my blue star fern potted in. After buying mine several months ago, I read online that I should pot it in a loose, woody, orchid mix. So I did. And ever since then, the fronds just sag very low, and are not erect like before I repotted it. The soil that it originally came in was not orchid mix, and some of that soil is still intact. I am also wondering if the pot I put it in is too large or deep. The plant does have some new rhizomes, but as far as fronds and leaves go, it really has not grown very much since I bought it. Any thoughts or advice?

• Vanessa Arp
    6 years ago

This is the "Perkiest" that the fronds get, as I just watered it deeply today. But after a day or so, they are all pretty much completely fallen again. Here is another photo showing the soil

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

it's because it's drying up too much. it's needs medium that retains moisture longer or needs to be watered more often.

did you soak the bark for 24 hours before potting? if not, the bark is hard to rewet when dry. usually orchid mix has some peat in it - i would recommend at least one third to be peat, one third perlite and one third bark. your bark looks too big - then it's even harder to rewet.

the pot is a bit large for the size of the plant - so if it were in original peaty mix it would get too soggy. so for large bark it should be ok, but! you'll need to water in such a way that bark does not dry up...

pot looks like clay? i don't keep ferns in clay, BUT in large orchid bark it might be ok...i keep mine in small plastic pots but with constant source of moisture thru the water-wick (so my mix has to be wicking, hence the use of peat).

without repotting it what you can do is remove some bark from the surface - soak it, cut it up in smaller pieces, add some original mix to it (half?) and put it back in. but do not cover the feet, they should be able to be just on the surface or even slightly above.

they don't like root disturbance - after re-potting it's normal for them to do nothing for awhile.

• Vanessa Arp
    6 years ago

Wow, thank you SO SO SO MUCH, petrushka!!! That is incredibly helpful, and I'll get right on your advice! I have scoured the web to no avail. So your advice is extremely helpful!!!

• George Scott
    6 years ago

Hi all I know this has been a while but I have a blue star fern and it is going a little yellow... any help would be amazing!! ..

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

it's in great shape. it normally goes semi-dormant or even totally dormant for winter.

when semi-dormant it drops a lot of fronts. in dormancy it can drop ALL fronds.

so when it starts shedding fronds it's best to water it very sparingly. but if it dries up completely (which it should not!) it will decide it's dry season and go to sleep :) for sev months.

so if it is winter where you are - there is nothing to worry about. keep doing what you are doing. perhaps it's new or you are in the south - 'cause it very dense and healthy.

those dark spots on some leaves could be from mechanical damage.

usually some older leaves turn yellow and drop - that's normal.

• George Scott
    6 years ago

Have just seen this! Thanks so much... I’m in london so it’s spring - I had it in the corner of the room so have moved it to a window that doesn’t get much light but a little. Some of the new leaves are now turning yellow should I repot? Thansk for your help!!

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

it's good for it to get some partial moving sunlight, just not hot noon sun. but northen window is fine. if the new leaves are turning yellow it might be from incorrect watering - do not allow it to dry up more then half way down. but allow the surface to feel somewhat dry to touch before watering. it's a fern, so it likes higher humidity. if you have hot dry air blowing on it from a heating vent or radiator that would be bad.

they don't like to be disturbed. it might decline severely if you bare-root it.

sizewise current pot looks ok to me. how long have you had it? it looks fresh from the shop.

you can uppot it though to the next size up (1" more around the rim, so 2" more in diameter) : put down 1-2" of fresh mix in the bottom of a bigger pot, position the existing pot in an empty bigger pot and fill in soil mix around it. spoon helps :), followed by a chopstick to push it down. then rock the inner pot side to side and lift it - you should have an outer layer of soil holding shape like a mold.

it's good to moisten the new mix a bit for this to happen. then you lift the plant from the old pot and carefully drop it into it's soil mold. minimal disturbance of roots.

or you can first lift the plant from it's pot and work with empty old pot - it's easier to push the soil around the rim then.

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago

if you look at my pics from years back - those ferns with huge fronds are planted in the pots with the bottom of the pot filled with styrofoam with a plastic saucer with holes on top, then filled with soil.

so only half the pot is used to keep it very shallow. regular pots are too deep and remain too damp and cold for it. but when it has only a shallow layer of soil it needs to be watered more often of course. that's why they are best grown in wire baskets lined with coir matting (coconut fiber). of course indoors it's not possible.