Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Fern?

Posted by Dogg1967 4b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 20:24

Picked this little beauty up at the local grocery store for $3 and the tag only said "Fern Asst in Overpot". Any idea on what kind of fern exactly? Also, any advice on care, if you happen to have experience with one? Thanks!

Mystery Fern 1 photo S6302438.jpg

photo S6302439.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Fern?

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 8:55

Could it be Dryopteris sieboldii? http://picasaweb.google.com/crownsvillenursery/FernImagesTheCrownsvilleNursery?authkey=Gv1sRgCMWluIq5wYuSDw&feat=directlink#5415559336818502626

o

Morning,

I'm not certain, and am having Google problems.
Google Blue Star Fern. Toni

o

It appears you have pushed me in the right direction Toni... the bluish-green foliage and the lobed leaves (fronds) make it a Blue Star Fern. Now, does anyone out in the Gardenweb universe own one that is thriving? If so please feel free to share your expertise. Thanks.

o

Hey Dogg, :)

To be honest, the reason I 'pushed you in the right direction' may be because I have a Blue Star Fern. :)

My fern isn't going to win any awards though. lol
Still, it's lived longer than thin-frond ferns.

My Blue Star is kept in an unobstructed north window year round.
At one time, it was summered outdoors, but we have ant problems, so it hasn't been outside in 2-yrs.
It did great outdoors, from spring-autumn.

I fertilize ferns, 3 times a year with Azalea/Rhodo fertilizer. 3-month pellet type.

This is only my opinion, but Blue Star doesn't need as much humidity as other ferns. Ex, Adiantum/Boston. Still, it's misted daily.

I guess that's about it. Unless you have other questions.

Your Blue Star is nice and full. Very compact.

Toni

o

hard to see, but i think yours has a hairy golden foot, no? i have that one too. it's phlebodium aureum / polypodeum aureum/ bear's paw fern. blue star is a variety of it.
it's a tropical fern.
it likes to be planted shallowly, coir basket would be best. it likes to be farely moist, but not wet - it'll rot easily then.
filtered warm sun light if very good for it. mine are in north-west corner window with very bright light. filtered west window is also very good. it'll go dormant in winter if temps drop to low 60s and then it can shed fronds. but it regrows in late spring after it gets to 70s.
mine grew from spores in orchids - then reseeded in alocasia pot and really took off. i had a whole fernery going. it sheds spores when mature - all over the place. can't put it on the carpet. in florida it spreads everywhere like crazy.
i keep mine on water-wicks self-watering. but allow it to dry up periodically. but mine are mature and quite large. when young it's best not to let it dry out. i keep very young plants tented in plastic permanently until they get to size.

This post was edited by petrushka on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 9:30

o

Thanks Toni and Petrushka for the care tips. We'll see how this little Blue Star does near a west window this winter and move it to a north vantage point for the summer rays (or maybe even outside). Your advice is much appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here