Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

Update :)

auron22
10 years ago

Yay, this semester is nearly over....if only it came sooner. I have done a few things plant related though during all the chaos, and I thought i'd share :)

New plants!

Finally got a ficus.....benjamina that is. It was just a couple bucks and in excellent shape, and impulse buy.lol
{{gwi:114217}}

FINALLY got a TC (pretty sure it's TC and not CC). My plants seem more satisfying to look at now with this and a ficus. (red/orange color)
{{gwi:114218}}

I Identified this myself, going to get second opinions eventually.
Pretty sure it is tillandsia tricolor.
{{gwi:114219}}

My new favorite orchid, EVER...and possibly fav plant overall. Psychopsis Mendenhall 'hildos' (butterfly orchid).
I fell in love with the leaves first, and nearly fainted when I noticed the single large bloom on a 3 foot stem on it's mother. Went even more crazy when I ran across some info that a single spike can bloom on and off for years.....am I bragging? :/ I hope it pups regularly as I want to share this with friends and family.
{{gwi:114220}}

Comments (10)

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, two plants have passed....R.I.P. My variegated schefflera and....some really long name I don't feel like looking up....(my head hurts from research still....)...but it was kind of like jasmine/gardenia....but in it's own genus. Both had what I believe were scale and I did not want to take ANY chances. I kept a pup from the jasmine/gardenia like thing, took all leaves off and is in isolation.

I believe it came from my orchid cactus, and crown of thorns (which are also pitched). They both came from same greenhouse and i'm not buying from there again....

Saw a massive amount of bugs on a few leaves of my other schefflera (not scale)....I hysterically hacked away what seemed to be infested and is now being isolated....

Anything new from anyone else? Hope all of your plants forever prosper :) Happy thanksgiving (in case i'm not on to say so during thanksgiving...)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Congrats are your great finds, the ficus is beautiful as is the orchid....
    Christine

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Agreed, nice looking plants! What's in the purple bottle/can? I've succumbed to a few new succulents too, put this planter together with some of them yesterday. What are your plans for the Tillandsia?

The tall pink/purple is Peperomia clusifolia, little one in the middle is Kalandchoe fedtschenkoi, the fuzzy, darker ones on each side are Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang,' in the front is Crassula falcata.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Christine :)

Hey purp,

I think I've been bit by a succulent bug, as I am finding myself glaring at them awkwardly in stores....more often than usual.lol...almost drooled over some portulacaria (is that a succulent?)
    Love you planter! Those kalanchoe fedtschenkoi are so cute :)

Not really sure how i'm going to set up the tillandsia. So far all of them are just sitting in random spots. I'm thinking about hanging them from wire for optimal air flow. Maybe i'll chain them all together and hang near the side of a window for vertical interest?

• teisa
    10 years ago

I wanted to say I Love, Love that Orchid. It is really pretty. I've never seen one of those before. And Im not an orchid person. But I too loved those leaves... TFS!

10 years ago

TY, Auron. Succulents, for some reason, never appealed to me until recently. I guess I never realized how they can turn pretty colors in the sun and make weird little flowers. When you see the plain green ones at the store & look up their names, you won't believe what they *could* look like.

"portulacaria (is that a succulent?)" Yes. Elephant bush?

Do you have a bigger plant to 'host' your Tilly? Mine is just sitting in the crook of this tree. Sounds like you have several?

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teisa,

Purp, your tillandsia look awesome nestled in that tree.
    I suppose I could try it, my schefflera is big enough, but I don't know if the tillandsia will get enough light, and it is currently in isolation from what I believe is aphids.
    I'll have to purchase a dracaena JUST so I can do something so awesome.lol. Been wanting one anyway....there are just sooooo many to chose from I can't pick.

10 years ago

LOL! I'm just here to enable as I've been enabled. Just another junkie sharing a fix. Scheff does have a thicker canopy, sounds like you do need a Drac, spiky, or maybe a corn plant with a nice 'shelf' where the cane was originally cut & waxed over.

Looking around at other plants one could sit a Till on... some of these Thanksgiving cacti are shaped to hold one well. Drac 'Lemon Lime' has stiffly upright leaves in which one could sit a Till. It would be easy to tuck one into the vines of heart-leaf Philo going up a trellis, but couldn't stay in the same spot long without being engulfed by the Philo. It would be transient, occasinally leaping from vine to vine like Tarzan. It could recline in a Cordyline fruticosa (Ti plant.) Mingle in a Monstera (which I don't have but can picture in my mind.) Placed in a palm? Just depends on the view through your eyes...

If you think there's aphids, you can rinse them off. That's the usual recommendation for a case of aphids on a house plant that one can do that to. (Gently wiping them off, and/or snipping affected growth tips could also help, depending on the anatomy/size of the plant.) I'd use air-temp water. Of all plants, I think it would be easiest to get them off of a Till since you can turn it in any direction while rinsing. Aphids move if prodded, and are easily smushed, come in many colors, almost always seen on new growth point(s) and/or flowers/buds.

Happy hunting for a "host!"

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I was itching for a fix, because of purple, lol. So I set out for that "host" for my tillandsia. Didn't really find any....guess what? Somehow 4 new plants magically popped up in my house. Came out of nowhere, promise!

Yellow phal that I think was discounted at $3, I'm just guessing....
    {{gwi:114221}}

Three MORE tillandsia for under $10, again....just assuming the cost since I didn't get it....

Tillandsia bulbosa
    {{gwi:114222}}

Tillandsia stricta 'stiff purple'
    {{gwi:114223}}

Tillandsia ionantha 'guatemala'
    {{gwi:114224}}

There was a xerographica about 8" in diameter, and a capitata 'maroon' 5" diameter, but about 2 feet long...but uh... Some benevolent force decided I shouldn't have them. Maybe Santa will? At any rate, I think I need more than one host now :)

10 years ago

The same thing happens to me when shopping! Does the last one have a flower on it?