Coming out of the side of palm...

tifflj
11 years ago

What is this?

Comments (13)

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the double post. I didnt see the first one post nor did i get to preview it.. Weird.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

If those are the seeds, I loose my pants! lol

Seriously though, you known how I feel about that palm and if there is anyone here that wants to sell a small plant of the same exact plant, I will pay them.

Wonderful job Tiff. I am very happy for you. What I would do for a palm that not only grows fast, but flowers too:-)

Congrats!

Mike

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So what do i do with this sprout?

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do these things typically come out of random places? Or do they have a spot where they appear? How often does this happen?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Tiff,

I posted to your other thread...

This dosen't happen that often on a small palm.

It goes to show that you are doing a great job with this palm. It loves the mix, light, watering needs and whatever else you are doing!! ( LOVE!!!) ;-)

I would leave it and enjoy the flowers that it produces for you. It won't be something that needs to stay after it flowers so i would cut it off after you have enjoyed the show!!

My palms usually flower in the summer!!

Great job!!

Take Care,

Laura

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That looks like a Chamaedorea, they have separate male and female plants, so you'll have either all male or all female flowers there. They're quite small and a bit of a 'non-event' other than that they're flowers. I have a clump of Chamaedorea seifrizii which has been flowering constantly the past few years but I still haven't worked out whether it's male or female yet. Not that it matters.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do I make a baby out of this sprout?

I cant take credit for the sprout. The person who gifted me this palm did all the work. I just gave it a new home.

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

I get these on my Cham all the time throughout the year - more so in the winter. I just checked mine and found 4 of these flower spike/seed things. I cut them off as soon as I notice them. It's a non-event flowering and I prefer the energy go into producing leaves instead of the weird spike.

• rosebuddy
    11 years ago

Have three stalks of these flowers and was thinking of trying to sprout them into new plants. I read that tropicbreezent mentioned that they were either male or female. Does that mean that there's no point in trying? I usually leave them on the plant until the constant dropping of the seeds (flowers?) onto the floor drives me crazy.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

If there are seperate male and female plants then you wont get seed.
    Theres a site devoted to chamaedorea, the guy explains it on there.
    I wonder if its still active...
    Darn it, Kami palms got took down!
    Well theres some cultivation info on PACSOA

Here is a link that might be useful: chamaedorea info

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Tiff, It's just a flower. leave it and enjoy it. you can't get a new plant from it.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay!!!!! I have another one starting to come out!!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Woohoo! It's fun when plants DO something.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax