Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 20:31

What is this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coming out of the side of palm...

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 20:32

Sorry for the double post. I didnt see the first one post nor did i get to preview it.. Weird.

o

If those are the seeds, I loose my pants! lol

Seriously though, you known how I feel about that palm and if there is anyone here that wants to sell a small plant of the same exact plant, I will pay them.

Wonderful job Tiff. I am very happy for you. What I would do for a palm that not only grows fast, but flowers too:-)

Congrats!

Mike

o

Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 20:53

So what do i do with this sprout?

o

Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 21:05

Do these things typically come out of random places? Or do they have a spot where they appear? How often does this happen?

o

Hi Tiff,

I posted to your other thread...

This dosen't happen that often on a small palm.

It goes to show that you are doing a great job with this palm. It loves the mix, light, watering needs and whatever else you are doing!! ( LOVE!!!) ;-)

I would leave it and enjoy the flowers that it produces for you. It won't be something that needs to stay after it flowers so i would cut it off after you have enjoyed the show!!

My palms usually flower in the summer!!

Great job!!

Take Care,

Laura

o

That looks like a Chamaedorea, they have separate male and female plants, so you'll have either all male or all female flowers there. They're quite small and a bit of a 'non-event' other than that they're flowers. I have a clump of Chamaedorea seifrizii which has been flowering constantly the past few years but I still haven't worked out whether it's male or female yet. Not that it matters.

o

Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 10:13

Do I make a baby out of this sprout?

I cant take credit for the sprout. The person who gifted me this palm did all the work. I just gave it a new home.

o

I get these on my Cham all the time throughout the year - more so in the winter. I just checked mine and found 4 of these flower spike/seed things. I cut them off as soon as I notice them. It's a non-event flowering and I prefer the energy go into producing leaves instead of the weird spike.

o

Have three stalks of these flowers and was thinking of trying to sprout them into new plants. I read that tropicbreezent mentioned that they were either male or female. Does that mean that there's no point in trying? I usually leave them on the plant until the constant dropping of the seeds (flowers?) onto the floor drives me crazy.

o

If there are seperate male and female plants then you wont get seed.
Theres a site devoted to chamaedorea, the guy explains it on there.
I wonder if its still active...
Darn it, Kami palms got took down!
Well theres some cultivation info on PACSOA

Here is a link that might be useful: chamaedorea info

o

Tiff, It's just a flower. leave it and enjoy it. you can't get a new plant from it.

o

Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 10:15

Yay!!!!! I have another one starting to come out!!!

o

Woohoo! It's fun when plants DO something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here