Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Hurricanes may come & go, but Cart Jumpers persist!!

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Well folks, just a touch of humor to lighten my load. Am here in the office Sunday night (using their computers), after an afternoon of Quilting for Charity & my Sunday morning spent w/ FEMA reps to try & expedite my application for relief, recovery assistance, etc.

The good news is that I'm not injured nor did I lose any people nor even suffer property damage, it's just my home was made uninhabitable (for myself & the 59 other units in a 4 bldg complex).

The Cart Jumpers: (Toni: I know you'll be especially proud of me.)

No pix to share yet, but I found two lovely & charming small mini-scheffleras (someone here recently called these Arboricolas, I think), variegated green & white, so very pretty I could not resist. I think maybe at $3.99 each why should I? Just looking at them makes me smile & right now, (these days, that's worth GOLD). I'd gone to my local HD type store for batteries & these little cuties leaped out at me!!

Again for Toni in particular, speaking of Aralias ... found me some all green, large leaf Aralias, not as crinkled leaf as the Chicken Gizzard one but still large leafed Aralias. They were small shrubs/trees almost 4 ft. high or so for $45; (they said medium to HIGH light, which I don't have to offer). I talked the guy into giving me a cutting, a tall cutting, easily more than 2-3 nodes (of which I can make 2 cuttings) for $10!! (This was at a wholesaler on 28th St. in NYC, which is the last remaining vestige of the commercial flower & plant district.)

So am happy to say my plant addiction is healthy & unabated!!

Karen, the cold & dark displaced one, but still green & planty!

Cant' wait for more daylight so I can really see what I've gotten & cut it in 2. Think I'll place one each to root in moist perlite vs. moist mix & see which does better.

Pix will follow when possible.

Comments (18)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Good to hear from you! Cool how you found an acceptable compromise. That's how I feel about that Philo I have that makes the giant reddish orange leaves. I made an offer and they accepted. Good luck with the roots. Hope you get your stuff back "like you like it" very soon!!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Karen,
    Glad to know you're ok and glad to see you're still at it (collecting plants). Those cart jumpers sure are hard to avoid.

Planto

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks folks,

I'm bringing this back up top for Toni as she seems to have missed it & I thought I'd share a good laugh w/ her today.

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Good for you, Karen!

I say, if it gets you through the day (or the storm, in your case), why not? A little green in the midst of all the gray is a great way to get cheered up!
    Hope things get back to normal soon!

Nancy

• tifflj
    11 years ago

PG. Nice to see you are doing as well as you can be. Glad you found the plants and they brought a smile to your face. Sometimes it doesnt take much.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen...Congrats! Yes, I am very, very proud of you. I'm also happy, you, your family and building survived the storm, no injuries.

Gotta watch out for cart jumpers..turn your head for a second and your cart is filled with greens.

Enter the store for batteries, exit with trees. lol. Hope you didn't forget the batteries... :)

4.00 for a variegated Scheff..that's a steal.
    Your Aralia's sound fascinating..Can't wait to see pictures.
    Are leaves the size of Dinner Plate? I know, common names, but I don't know its botanical name.
    Please keep us posted which mix works for rooting Aralia cuttings.

For those of you who don't know, Karen's quilts are outstanding creations. Beautifully designed.

Karen, I wish you'd post pics of your quilts, too...if not here, the flip-side would be fine.

11 years ago

Quilts? I LOVE them, design them (although most of them were lost in my computer crash a while back,) and my Mom makes them, sometimes the ones I've designed. Yes, please start a flip-side about quilts. The actual quilt forum on here will make you sneeze, dry as dust!!

Don't know why I didn't think to say when I posted on this before, my last cart jumper was a Sans. Scroll down a bit to see whole thing & 2 pots of various stages of propagation. You're not entirely to blame for this vein of enabling, but pretty much. LOL! Thanks!!

• tifflj
    11 years ago

My recent cart jumper for $2. I had room so I couldnt resist. Love it. Drac. Warneckii. All the plants are thriving... Trying post a thread on an update of how everyone is doing.... Getting there.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    11 years ago

Tifflj, that's beautiful. Does it have any name besides Dracaena Warneckki? I google image searched that and they don't look as nice as yours.

But no worries if you don't know, I can enjoy the picture.

• tifflj
    11 years ago

Need2seegreen- it is a drac. Deremensis warneckii. Sorry, i am still learning and dont know much about the latin names.. Or whatever. Sorry! Yeah as usual on my trip to WM for formula... I browse past the plant section. This time I went to a different WM. this guy was tucked in the back with a reduced tag for $2.25. After inspection for pests.. I saw it was in perfect condition. And I knew i had space after a recent rearrangement of the plant family. Winner winner chicken dinner!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, perhaps you're busy..When you get a chance, please post pictures..

Purple..how on earth do you post a link that leads to a plant in the middle of a paragraph? Does it require a software program?

Tiff and Need2. I thought D. Warneckii's color was lime-green.
    There's so many stripped Dracaenas, at times it's impossible making an accurate ID.

Tiff...I got this guy on Ebay, 2009. Another stripped Dracaena, but no variety name.

{{gwi:114260}}

Dracaena is not warneckii, but it's another stripped variety.

I love Aralias, but they're very difficult..especially during winter.

Aralia is another plant that has several varieties..one reason I can't wait to see Karen's new babies.

HD has a few types, but since I kill them, I must pass them up! Aralias know better not to jump in my cart. lol.

• tifflj
    11 years ago

Dont know Toni. I do know the book houseplant expert id's it the same way.

11 years ago

Toni, I explained to you how to make links in this thread of yours.

Here:

To make a link, remove the spaces in this line, the 4 spaces next to :

What link says on the page

A link to Gardenweb would look like this (with spaces removed):
    Gardenweb

And show up like this:
    Gardenweb

Just basic HTML code, like changing the color of the font

Like this (remove the 4 same spaces):

color of the font

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Toni,
    I looked at your Flickr album, I love your plants! Your 'Gold Flame' looks pretty gold to me!

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tiff..I have 1983 House Plant Expert edition. D. warneckii isn't listed.
    What edition do you have?

Purple..lol..thanks but I'll post the old-fashioned way.

• tifflj
    11 years ago

Toni, 1993

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Planto..thank you..

I can't recall Sans date/year purchased. It might have had more yellow then. But,, thanks.

Tiff, you're edition is newer than mine. Wonder if the author added more plants in recent books.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Toni,
    I too was looking at your plant collection. Wow, very impressive. You should post your Sans collection on the Sans forum. I also love your variegated clivia. And yes, I agree with Plato that your Gold Flame looks great. You know it's only all yellow on the inside, the outside just has the yellow trim.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz