Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! - Ficus Tree Tap Root!

Posted by halogengirlie 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 20:56

We have a large ficus tree (approx 7'). We allow it to stay outdoors in the summer, but bring it inside in the winter. We have done this for the last 3 years.

Tonight our temperatures are supposed to drop to 38 degrees, so we decided to bring the Ficus indoors. When lifting the pot we encountered a great deal of resistance. We eventually pried the pot up, only to discover that we had severed a 1" thick tap root.

I've heard of root pruning a ficus, and it seems to include trimming the foliage as well. Since we broke such a thick tap root... do you think we have a chance of saving the tree? Should we cut back the foliage?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! - Ficus Tree Tap Root!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 21:13

What species is it? Ficus carica (hardy/edible fig), benjamina (weeping fig), elastica (rubber tree), other?

Al

o

ummm... I'm not sure... It's an ornamental non-fruiting...

o

After looking at some pictures of the plants you suggested, it looks most like a benjamina. It's certainly not a rubber tree and it does not fruit.

Thanks!

o

Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 22:00

Assuming it's a plant commonly grown as a houseplant, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have some issues bringing it in, though not necessarily related to the loss of the big root. The extreme chill will not have been good for it (it's best to bring houseplants in before night temps start dipping below 55*); and you may experience some foliage loss, from minor to extreme, as a result of a sudden decrease in light.

I wouldn't do any serious pruning of the canopy until early summer, unless the tree happens to shed most of its foliage, in which case it won't matter much if you prune. Be very careful about your watering habits (don't over-water). It sounds like you might want to be thinking about a full repot, including root pruning, come early summer.

Find more info by following the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me and I'll show you what he meant!

o
Ficus Tree Help

Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 22:02

That should have been: I wouldn't be surprised if you did have some issues bringing it in, though not necessarily related to the loss of the big root. Sorry. ;o)

o

I appreciate the info... The tree right now looks very healthy, full of leaves waxy green. However, every year when we bring it inside the leaves do thin out and quite a few drop.... I'm just nervous about the tap root, since that it a new twist to our ritual...

o

Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 12:31

It's true that having to sever the large root can't be scored in the + column, but I don't think it will be quite as large a minus as you're thinking it might be. ;o) Plants in high energy states are very resilient. It's the highly stressed plants that are of greater concern. Bringing it in sooner next year would be something I would count as one of my priorities, though.

How quickly the plant bounces back, or to what degree it bounces back, depends a lot on how root bound it is in the container. Potting up would probably be a good move, until you can repot. If you do, don't go too much larger in pot size, and be careful to water only when you're sure it needs it. Taking advantage of a wick to drain excess water would also be helpful.

Best luck.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here