Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skinnyguy76

Pygmy Date Palm problems

skinnyguy76
15 years ago

I purchased two very healthy three stemmed pygmy date palms from a big box retailer a month or so ago. I have noticed some of the ends of the fronds turning a dark brown and am unsure of the cause. I have done a lot of searching online and have found many conflicting answers.

I repotted them into larger pots after purchase using standard potting soil and the typical gravel in the bottom, etc. I did notice that they were heavily root bound and pulled and pruned the circled roots. I did read on one post that this could be the problem.

The plants are in the corner windows of a south facing room and get direct sunlight when we open the shades, which I admit is a little haphazardly. I water once a week or a little more whenever the soil is pretty dry the depth of my finger or so.

There is a heating vent close to both, but the fronds that are browning aren't the ones that are hanging over it. I thought at first it was just the fronds touching the cold window, but there have been some fronds in the center of the plant browning on the ends too.

Don't know if this is just transplant shock that will pass, or if I need to change something. Also, not sure how much damage I did pruning the roots. Seemed to be fine for the first three weeks so I'm unsure if the root pruning was the problem.

Comments (8)