Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron I.D.

Posted by debrichard z5 Mich (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 4, 08 at 21:28

Hi, I just bought a bargain plant at Lowe's, have gotten many good houseplants and tropicals there this past yr. Anyway, it's a philodendron, so the tag says, that is green spade-shaped leaves with I assume is the new growth at the top leaves which are a burgundy red, and red stems. Anyone have any idea what variety this is?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron I.D.

Does it look anything like this?
This started out as a small houseplant from Lowes that I had to plant in the ground and establish a totem for it to climb on because it grew too huge for the house
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

YES! That's it. Do you know what variety it is? I like to know the names of my plants and do lots of internet research. How exciting, does it have more of a spreading habit than upright? I have lots of room for plants unless they have an enourmous spread. It will look nice, also, on my deck next summer with all my other plants, mostly tropicals. Is this one that has a high light requirement? The tag says so, i didn't think Phil. were that picky.
Thank you!

o

Unfortunately, this plant does not seem to HAVE a cultivar name.
I had this discussion with a South FL aroid person awhile ago concerning this plant and others like it from box stores, and the consensus was that this one and a few others were hybrids produced by a single hybridizer, but the exact parentage is unknown.

This plant is a definite climber. It may take it a while to start "needing" to climb, but it will spread out across the floor and try to 'spiral' up on its own. It has a definite trunk (eventually) and is very large growing.

This is a photo of it when it was still being utilized as a houseplant. It was already about 3-4 years old at that time.

It does like a whole lot of light, it grew under a bank of skylights in the house and grows in very high light in the greenhouse

o

Thank you, I'll just have to try to keep it happy, and figure out a way when it wants to climb, to put it into a large pot perhaps with a pole of some sort to climb.

o

It looks like 'Prince of Orange' to me.

o

Actually, THIS is Prince of Orange. You can see that it has a totally different leaf shape than our other plant, and the emergent leaves are, well, ORANGE, not red. Our plant is not P of O. But good guess, LOL

o

Thank you all, mine is def. not orange but very red, almost purple-red.

o

I would love to know that name of that plant as well! I would like to find it. I may need to go to Lowes and see if I can find it!

o

I did a little research...and it seems like it could be a imperial red philo? Or even an red emerald. I love philos and have never seen this type before. Or maybe I have and didn't know I was looking at a philo. Anyway...I looked up red philodendron on google...and pulled up some info where the pics look like the ones above p.o. Hope this helps!!! :)

o

I did a little research...and it seems like it could be a imperial red philo? Or even an red emerald. I love philos and have never seen this type before. Or maybe I have and didn't know I was looking at a philo. Anyway...I looked up red philodendron on google...and pulled up some info where the pics look like the ones above p.o. Hope this helps!!! :)

o

debrichard, I have seen the Philodendron 'Red Congo' which looks similar except that the leaf base is deeply hastate snd the leaf edge curves sharply upward on both sides of the petiole. It was displayed in a lobby in a wide bowl-shaped planter for a very dramatic effect. I do not know if it is climbing plant

o

I went and brought myself one of the red philos from home depot. It looks similar to the first two pics except there arent any red leaves. There isn't any new growth yet...so once i receive some new growth...I should see some red leaves hopefully. the stems and base is red.In any case...its a gorgeous plant. I love it.A large plant for about $12.00. There was no description other than it being a tropical plant. So I'm almost certain its a Imperial Red of some sort! YAY!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here