Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ivy cutting?

Posted by eileen_plants z6ny (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 7, 06 at 21:44

Quick question, please - can I get an ivy cutting to root in a glass of water? In a small pot of soil? In the past, I've tried everything to get pothos cuttings to take in a pot of soil with rooting hormone, but the only way I can do this is to put them in water first. Back to the ivy - any ideas? It is not a trailing ivy, I think its Algerian ivy, its growing upright, at least for now. Thanks alot!

Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivy cutting?

Hi Eileen,

Here is a link that you may find very helpful in your efforts. Good Luck and let us know how it all turns out?

GH

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Cuttings

o

GH, thank you very much for the link, it answered every question I had! I bookmarked the page for future reference and have followed the instructions given for my ivy cutting, which they said is easy to propagate by cuttings...thanks again!

Eileen

o

Good link, gh! Eileen, once you learn some of the 'secrets' of plant propagation, you'll understand how easy it really it. To be successful, I mean! ;-)

It's always better for the plant if they begin their new life in a solid rooting medium of some sort, rather than water. Yes, most plants are happy to root in water and we get satisfaction by being able to witness the procedure, but it's a struggle for the plant when you transplant those water roots to the soil.

Here's another good link for you. Truthfully, there are lots of 'right' ways to propagate our plants. Do some more reading on your own.

(Don't be discouraged if your cuttings don't 'take' at this time of year. Mid- to late spring is probably the best time for this plant.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for some more good info!

o

Thank you for the link and the excellent advice, Rhizo - I had the cutting in water, but after reading the link, and heeding your advice about water roots, have decided to pot it in a small clay pot with a mix of sand and peat moss (as per the link). They gave several alternatives for potting medium - hope I am on the right track with this mix! I'll hope for the best, but you are right, Rhizo, this is not the best time of year for a cutting to take. I was pruning the plant and just couldn't resist. The links provided have been terrific and I will do some internet research to find more of them on my own- much appreciated!

Eileen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here