Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

What plant can go next to the front door and not suffer from cold

tlbean2004
9 years ago

When you walk into my house there is a entertainment center/TV stand against the wall. I have a TV in the middle but i would like to put a plant next to the TV.
What can i put there that will not suffer when the door opens briefly and a little cold air comes in during the winter time.

In the picture you can see the front door. entertainment center that i want to put the plant on is against the wall in front of the couch. In the left hand corner you can see some leaves of my agloanema. It is at one end of the stand and i want a plant to put at the other end closest to the door.

Please advise

Comments (13)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

What state are you in, how cold are we talkin' here?

• paul_
    9 years ago

Lack of decent light is going to be an issue for you as well.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

I'd put the plants closer to the window. On the sill or behind the couch on a table or stand

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im in Arkansas zone 7b.
    And there was just recently a light installed in the room.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

smth very low light that can stand cooler temps: like spider plant, sansevieria. they will just sit and not grow though, do not expect them to prosper. keep them on a dry side, especially sansi. when kept dry it can take 50F easily.and down to 45F. spiders can stand even mid 30s. but that is mostly when they are slowly adjusted to lower and lower temps over a period of time.
    jades would stand temp fluxes easily, but they need high light - you don't have that.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

What about good old Aspidistra elatior? In fact ,for reasons of lack of space,I have the variegated variety of this plant on a mantel under an ordinary lamp, about ten feet from an east window, and it's doing well. Though mine is not in a draught, I believe aspidistras are not too sensitive to draughts.

Is that an aspidistra I actually spy there on the left of your photo?

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

aspidistra, and variegated? i am envious! that's a great suggestion.
    i've been wanting to get a variegated one for awhile. but i don't see them anywhere, not even plain ones.
    they are out of fashion here, it seems?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Aspidistra is a great idea, hardy here. I've only seen the variegated in pics.

Is it possible to rearrange for winter by moving the couch, so plants can go in front of the window? Hanging might be an option in front of the window if the layout can't be changed and the window is tall enough to expose plants to the light but to still have head room if hanging plants over the couch. (Which, I admit, is going too far for a lot of people, but if you ask plant wack-o's a question, some wacky answers are inevitable.)

Forgot to ask, which way does that window face?

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think changing the furniture around is abit much.
    I think it is a west facing window, but it looks out to the carport.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

this is my fave aspidistra 'asahi' - but they seem to be permanently out of stock, everywhere..

Here is a link that might be useful: it's on expensive side

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those do look nice. i have never seen that plant in the shops.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Mine was a division from a cousin's plant - but I do know there is a place that sells all types, in the U.K., if I could only remember the name. The original green plant is very handsome too and hard to beat for elegant, shining green foliage. Aspidistras will put up with a lot of abuse, but a well-kept one is memorable.
    Perhaps some will not approve of this, but the same cousin has several plain green aspidistras throughout her house in all sorts of corners, and she decorates some of them with artificial orchid flowers, which I can tell you makes one stare when trying to figure out the type of orchid and how it's so healthy in low-light places. The plants don't mind, however, and the idea certainly makes them a talking point.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

florists used to have an aspidistra leaf in ev bouquet long time ago - but now it's usually a fern frond. aspidistras are supposed to be quite long-lived too.