Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mari66_gw

pic of broken lemon lime dracaena

mari66
12 years ago

{{gwi:114383}}

Hello & Happy Thanksgiving

This is my bargain plant with a broken stem --I took a piece off just above the leaf-- its been in water with no results

Was this the right thing to do???

any ideas I did re pot it a while ago and never really checked the roots--

Any hope ???

Thanks Mari Plymouth MA

Comments (5)

• paul_
    12 years ago

Just for clarification, Mari. So the leafy stem on the left is NOT the broken off piece of the stem on the right?

The stem on the right should eventually put out new growth. I have never tried to water root Dracaenas, so we'll have to wait for someone more experienced to chime in. :)

• elkay_gw
    12 years ago

I root dracaenas in water all the time - you shouldn't have a problem there. Once it roots, I would put it back in that pot to make a fuller looking plant.

• brodyjames_gw
    12 years ago

Mari,
    I finally got mine to root in water. I say finally because it took around 3 weeks, at least. Have a little patience....it'll happen! :)

Nancy

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

I too have rooted Dracaeans in water. Patience is the key.
    Add Superthrive to the water or soil..whichever method you decide.
    ST stimulates root growth.

Also, if you root in water, change daily or every second day..Water gets stagnant if it's not changed, and STINKS.

Another hint..Don't peek, lol. So many people rooting a cutting, feel they MUST peek to see if the cutting rooted. lol. I've told them, time and time again, Let It Be! All they're doing is disturbing the tiny roots.
    Two people killed cuttings because they couldn't resist peeking. lol.

But, seriously, although Dracaenas can be rooted anytime of the year, they might take a little longer during winter months..they're a bit slow to begin with.

Good luck, Toni

PS. When I first saw your plant, I thought it was D. Song of India, variegata.

• mari66
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone,
    So glad to hear the good news that the plant will root--OH YES--I do have to learn to be patient--just ask my hubby AL
    and thanks for all the tips on rooting--
    I am fairly new here had been on cacti & succulents
    I have Jades and they are not getting enough light as this group advised and I Know they are right--Here in MA its dark and cloudy so I am adding artificial lite for the winter along with their west window--my south window is under a car port with very low light--plus if the sun is out just before it sets they get 20 or so minutes of sun
    I need a whole home make over just for my plants HA HA
    I will keep you posted
    Mari Plymouth MA

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County