Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mold problem

Posted by d.pierce (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 21:53

my clay pot and other ceramic pots are moldy. How do u solve that? And why that happened?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mold problem

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 9:03

It might not be mold - could be deposits of dissolved solids from fertilizer and tapwater that are left behind when water evaporates from the surface of the terra cotta. It won't hurt the plants. If you feel it unsightly, you could slip the terra cotta into a slightly larger pot as a 'cover-up'. The gas exchange offered by the terra cotta material is something your plants appreciate.

Al

o
RE: mold problem

It sounds as if you are growing your plants in some kind of very peaty mix..This is what use to happen to my pots..

You can aliviate the problem by switching to a much better mix come spring..I use a gritty mix and a mix that consists of very little peat.

When watering your plants, the majority of deposits and solids from your water and fertilizers just run right out the bottom where they belong...As for the water if you should choose not to change your mixes, you could use rain water..But, then of course you are still left to worry about the fertilizers..

I use to use a container within a container to rid the unsightly look of this, but then I wanted to get to the root of the problem..Would you believe that many actually like the looks of their pots like this?

So far so good for my clay pots..

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here