Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black splotches on Lipstick "Black Pagoda"?

Posted by wendync 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 21:54

So I have a pretty large lipstick plant that I haven't had very long. It seems to be pretty happy, sending out lots of new leaves, maybe even hinting that it will produces some flowers(there were no flowers when I purchased it).

However, I noticed a few leaves have developed dark patches on them. They feel moist to the touch for a few days before the patch spreads and the leaf becomes brittle. It's possible that it may be sunburn, I suppose, because I did have it in a southern window for about a week, but the black patches weren't all on the window side, some were on the "dark side" too. I have since moved it out of the path of direct sun, into the middle of the sunroom, so it's very bright, but nothing direct.

Ideas on the black patches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black splotches on Lipstick "Black Pagoda"?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 7:52

It's possible that it's a disease, but I'd look to over-watering as the prime suspect, especially if you've never noticed any significant wilting between waterings. The soil likes to be damp - not wet. Ideal is about as damp as a wrung-out sponge, so make sure the soil is getting fairly dry deep in the pot before you water. Use a wood skewer or a dowel rod, stuck deep in the pot, as your 'tell'. If it comes out obviously moist/cool/dark with moisture, withhold water until the soil is nearly dry, then, water so at least 10-20% of the total volume of water applied exits the drain hole. If you cannot presently water as described without the soil remaining wet so long it causes root problems, you might wish to ask about some tips that will help you water correctly.

I would snip the offending leaves off close to the stem & destroy them, just in case there is a disease issue.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here