Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syrcais

Hanging plant options for enclosed vinyl sunroom?

wendync
11 years ago

Hey guys! So my new house has an enclosed glass sunroom that was made from a kit. The walls that are not windows are all vinyl siding. I would LOVE to have some hanging plants in here, but there are no hangers or anything and I wouldn't want to put holes in the vinyl. Are there any options/ideas for me on this? I wouldn't think something like Command hooks would be strong enough for a plant. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• goren
    11 years ago

I'm sure you've done your research into the different kinds of hooks that 'stick' on walls...supposed to not damage the paint and can be easily removed.
    That is fine....as far as it goes...but with most common houseplants we have to take into consideration the weight the hook can hold up it appears there's not many that can support much more then 3 lbs.

Three pounds sounds plausible for a small houseplant...but when we add in the weight of the soil--which is usually pretty light...but what about water...it has weight and like most people we continually add water when we think the plant needs it. So that limits the pot to be of light material--plastic is the norm--and we then look to whether it has a water drainage bottom reservoir.
    Plastic has some advantages; they come in various sizes and colors to go with room decor. There is even clear plastic that allows the soil mix to be viewed.
    But they are non-porous..they hold in a lot of water; they don't absorb such as clay or wood. The soil stays wet longer --which, in some cases, for those that like heavy moisture, is kind to. Still they need something between the soil and the bottom drainage hole--GOSH..it has a drainage hole doesn't it--so that the water doesn't hang around the roots too long.
    Clay pots is still the best for novice and beginners.
    If you are a caring person and can be trusted to water only when the plant needs it...and only as much water as the plant can use--drainage holes might be left out of the equation.

If you trust the weight can be less than what the sticky hook can hold--then that kind of hook might be tried.
    If not why not think the kind of plant, given a floor or table position, that flies--up posts, along walls with sticky hooks, over bookcases, ending up on a shelf above. (philodendron comes to mind.
    Pedestals, while looking good as part of the decor, can hold a large pot and if given a 'sleeve', no attention to drainage is of concern.

There's nothing wrong in adding a look to a room with a colorful plant sitting on a table.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Wendy, are ceiling hooks a possibility? There are many options, if so.

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

You might want to use a stand with hooks on it rather than attaching the hooks to the wall. Or perhaps look for something like this: http://onestylishlife.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/cool-idea-protect-plants-from-pets-beautifully/

Another option might be to try to find very small and lightweight plants that don't require a screwed-in hook. For example, if it doesn't get too cold in the sunroom over the winter, you could put tillandsia in little glass ornaments on the wall or something along those lines. Tillandsia are tiny enough that they could easily hang from a stick-on-the-wall hook.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

What about portable clothing racks? Only gets the pots to about chest level, though... I'm having a tough time understanding how this thing is built... but know I probably want one! pics?