Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas Cactus Cuttings

Posted by houseplantfan (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 22:08

Hello Would it work if i was Cut off a piece of a Christmas Cactus then Stick in to water would it get Roots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas Cactus Cuttings

Stick it in some Orchid Bark, keep the bark moist, and it should root no problem.

Josh

o

Hi houseplantfan,

It will root in water. I have 2 cuttings in water right now with roots.

Elsie

o

Water roots and air roots are different.
Water roots will often break when you pot them in soil, which means that your cuttings will have
to root twice....which takes longer, and increases the chance of rot. I'm not that patient.

Water-rooting, for most species, is almost always inferior to soil-rooting.

Josh

o

I agree with greenman. Though many plants WILL root in water, why do it? Cuttings are so much easier to insert into a good, fast draining potting soil without those tangled water roots. And Xmas cacti are very easy to root, as long as the cuttings aren't too long.

o

Ideally, a cutting of these should have about 3 segments in length (or 4), then bury the bottom segment standing up in the mix.

I root many things in water, but this is not one of them, it's likely to rot in the water before it roots. Just try avoid using peat whatever mix you use to pot them up.

o

I have tried both methods and the ones that I have rooted in bark, without peat faired well....

The ones I rooted in water ended up dying after a couple of weeks once they went into soil....

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here