Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know what kind of Palm this is??

Posted by Danny21 none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 22:11

Does anyone know what plant this is, I inherited it from my grandma and I would like to know its care traits. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know what kind of Palm this is??

Hi Danny
The plant is lovely and I believe it's a Philodendron.

o

Hi
thaat would be my guess also. Looks like p selloum or one of the hybrids. Definitely NOT a palm lol gary

o

Danny, I agree your plant is either Philodendron or Monstera, 'relatives.'

Care: Well-draining, fertile soil.
Sun..no direct summer sun. Bright light during summer..during winter, 'depending where you live,' bright light, so you may need to change windows.
Fertilize with All Purpose or Balanced Fertilizer during growing season. Once a month is sufficient.
Water when soil feels semi-dry. Never keep soil wet for prolonged periods.
Philos/Monsteras like humidity, so spray leaves, and/or run a humidifer.

BTW, nice plant. Toni

o

Thank you everyone for your responses and help. I definitely agree with your answers. I thought it was a palm because I how the base of the plant looked. I'm hoping this upcoming growing season it will fill out a bit. Thanks again!

o

Also, in the spring should I transfer It to a smaller pot? I feel like it's in way to big of a pot right now.

o

Philo Bipinnatifidum or Selloum, seem to interchangeable names - in Europe at least.

It'll grow some major roots over time, so leave it in a big pot. :-)

o

They can get quite huge so the larger pot won't be out of place. make sure the soil is fast draining. The correct name is Philodendron bipinnatifidum, P. selloum is a synonym. A couple of the common names are Split-leaf Philodendron and Tree Philodendron.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here