Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxwood - black junk under the leaves: rot? bugs?

Posted by blankpages (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 22:14

Hey all,
I have a boxwood bonsai that I got from a bonsai class last summer and it's been doing well right up until the last couple of days. There are some dark black specks under the leaves and they are sticky. The trunk of the tree has gotten a little shiny as well. Could this be some kind of bug that's gotten into the tree? Is it possible it's some kind of disease?
I'm posting this to the bonsai forum as well, but I thought I'd check here too just in case.
Thanks,
Jose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxwood - black junk under the leaves: rot? bugs?

My guess would be sooty mold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooty Mold

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 12:11

Do a search using the words boxwood Indian wax scale. You'll probably find the symptoms match. IWS is the most probable type of scale to infest boxwood. The black spots are a type of mold called sooty mold that lives on the honeydew excreted by the scale.

BTW - adding your USDA zone and state to your user info would be helpful ..... and/or a large city you're in or near.

Al

o

Jose, post a picture of this if you can. Or send one directly to me. You'll find my email in my member page.

Do you see any of the white Wax Scale? What do you mean by 'large black specks'? That doesn't sound like black sooty mold, but perhaps if you described it differently (or let us see a picture), we could be certain. Has this plant been outside where BSM would live and happily grow?

Certainly the stickiness indicates the presence of a scale insect of some kind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here