Posted by asleep_in_the_garden (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 22:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
gah!!!

FAIL lol

o
as a last resort

I guess this will have to do for now...one of these days I'm gna havta figure out the tricks you guys know so well. lol

http://s1272.beta.photobucket.com/user/Asleep_in_the_Garden/library/?

o
RE: test

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 23:32

Try again...in photobucket, there are 'Image links' (column is on right side of screen). Select photo you want to post & click on HTML code (or HTML thumb code if you want to post small photo). It will turn briefly yellow & 'Copied' will appear. Just paste to the message on GW. If you want to post multiple photos, just repeat for selected photos...
You can post just a single photo if you use 'Image file to upload' feature in Post a follow-up on GW. In this case you won't be posting HTML code, just browse for photo you want to upload, click on it & it will be posted. Remember, if you are using this feature, only 1 photo could be posted and if you make corrections after previewing, you need to browse/post it again since it will disapear if making corrections.
Rina

o

Thank you Rina!
One day I'm gonna have to find a better way to do this. The webcam just isn't do 'em justice. LOL
Photobucket

Photobucket

Picture005

Picture001

Picture003

Picture004

Picture002

o

A bit more of all that...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I think you've got it! I can't get it to let me see bigger versions of the pics though, which I doubt is something you did or didn't do. I'm seeing that with Photobucket a lot lately.

Wow! Your place looks about as overwhelmed with greenery as mine. I would swear plants are smaller outside. Were yours outside for summer?

o

omg purp! I didn't even realize anyone had responded to this thread and I had the impression they were just gonna let it slide right off! Am I a dope or what? lol

I had them outside the summer before last but this year they've pretty much been in here with me the whole time. It's just too much of a hassle now to get them back and forth. My philos(2selloum that are Katrina survivors) may not even fit through the door now.

The webcam may have something to do with the problem. I need to figure a way around all that,huh? :)

o

You have some nice plants there! Glad you figured out how to post, first time is the hardest~~ then your hooked! lol

Love the hanging box btw, never would have thought of doing that~~ :)

Marjie

o

Asleep..yep, larger pics would help. I clicked on one pic, 'variegatedd plant,' hoping it'd expand...It took me to PB, but pics are the same size as those here..lol.

What type of plants are in the gh?

I love your Staghorn..is it attached to something? Toni

o

So this is about all that i can really get the cam to at the moment. The cord connecting it is kinda short...pity too because around the corner my ficus is laughing at me. lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thanks Marjie,you're sweet for saying so! :)

Hmmmm purp,I'm thinkin mebbe if you saved em to your machine you could enlarge them there but i really don't know as I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to things such as these. At the moment I have 3 gh type setups and I don't think I managed to get but 2 in any of these shots. Contents include(but aren't limited to)ficus pumila,ficus alii,an unknown type of ficus(that Al suggested may even be a strangler!),a small sapling of a catalpa tree,a cryptanthus that has done some weird thing after being accidentally pinched back(it's split off double from the top!),alocasia macrorhiza,philo xanadu,hoya carnosa(variegated),a massive chunk of a coleus (likely black dragon)which is rooting all over the glass,a schef cutting or 2,philo micans,a double blooming impatiens,an epipremnum picta...and this list goes on. like the rest of my room the terrariums are choked.

ME?? a HORDER???
...well duh! lol ;)

o
oh yeah,...

The stag is just sitting in a clay pot that's sitting in a bucket,no support. ...it started out as a tiny thing in a 4inch pot believe it or not. It's one of the few plants in my collection that I actually BOUGHT. To me it's much more fun to take cuttings and make them into whole plants over time,but i really couldn't resist when that little stag was going for a mere 85 cents(knowing full well what it would one day become)!

o

im soo gonna share this post with my landlord! lolo

Marjie
is that the largest resolution the camcorder will allow?
..seems to be some really Cool stuff ya got there, but,,
i think these ol eyes are missing half of it ?
that one looks like a fish!? goldfish plant maybe?? lol j/k

o

Yes, this is a true orgy of foliage!!!

My landlady just shakes her head at me, but in a good way. I give her plants as often as she'll accept them. She did ask me to stop a few weeks ago...

o

Houston...we have a problem

Surfer (I do believe he thinks I'm Marjie lol) got me to thinking about the resolution issue and it occurred to me that I could download the drivers that are supposed to work with my webcam instead of just going with the default.

WELL...
in doing this I managed to accidentally pick up a nasty. anyone heard of CLARO? At the moment I am waiting on a friend to help me get that crud out of my machine(I'm on the machine downstairs right now). Knowing my friend,it'll prolly be a while before I have easy access to the internet(this machine is shared and I cant monopolize it lol).

When it rains it pours,right?

Oh and Surfer,that little guy is one of my male bettas ...I know I know...he's not a plant. lol :)

Purp,your landlady is a FOOL...I mean...WHO can resist a HOUSEPLANT?? ..............madness!!

Anyway guys n gals I'll be back when I can. :)

o

O crap, good luck! I've lost 2 computers to virus in the past few years, hope yours gets cured!!!!!

o

Asleep..what's pic 5? W/roots.

AWWW, a blue Betta..I miss having fish....

Your Staghorn is something else..beautiful. It's much to dry here to over-winter. Especially a mounted Stag.

Asleep, I usually buy small plants, but there are certain types I prefer starting out larger..For instance, grafted citrus, grafted-standard Gardenia and standard/braided Hibiscus. I think those mentioned are the only plants, besides one variegated Schefflera were purchased at least 1-yr-old.

A plant sowed from seed and cuttings have sentimental value.

Smaller plants are more ecomical, too.

o

Purp,
...sad part is if the compy upstairs in my room goes kaput,it wouldn't be the 1st that i've killed either. thanks for the wish of luck,..i suspect I'm gonna need it! :)

Toni,
...the plant in question here is a P.Selloum,..one of two that I liberated from the back yard when I was living far enough south where people could let them overwinter in their yards. They were mere pups of the mama plant when I divided them(that was right after hurricane katrina)...you shoulda seen the roots on HER! lol
Meanwhile,..these two are placed up high enough that I can move about UNDER them because otherwise I wouldn't be able to maneuver in my room at all. :D
The betta is one of my four,two more males and my sweet female...she's a BEAST! breeding has failed at every turn because she's bigger than the guys and they are incapable of making her submissive enough not to turn around and beat them up pretty bad. My other blue male got his tail stripped to a nub when I made the mistake of not supervising them together.
Live and learn,huh?

I have sentimental attachment to all my plants pretty much...all have a history and a story connected to them,right? :)

o

Asleep...Roots of P. Selloum are large now! lol. I can imagine.
Finding room for plants..always a chore.

Funny..sweet female Betta is usually passive..until breeding.
The first few times I bred Bettas were unsuccessful. They breed better in a small tank, 3-5 gallons..
Place a divider in the center..keep male on one side and female on the other.
Wait a few days to a week. Once a white thingy, lol, appears on the female's belly, or it looks full, she's ready to breed.
When they mate it looks like the male is killing the female, but that's how, well, they do it. lol. After eggs drop, the male catches and spits them in a bubble nest he makes before breeding.
The female looks dead, but the poor fish is just exhausted. Who could blame her??
He'll continue wrapping his body around hers, until all eggs are released.
Sometimes both parents care for their eggs/young, but every so often, the female must be removed..she'll eat the eggs..After all that work!!! lol.

Then there's feeding..I forgot the name, but the meal is miroscopic. Food comes in a container..it's placed in water and left on a window-sill. Think it takes 3 days for completion.

It may sound like a lot of work, but it isn't..Once your Bettas are ready, and you buy/prepare their food, you're set.

Asleep, are you positive your female is female? lol..Two male Bettas will fight until...........
Females are much lighter in color. Bland, in fact.

Oh yes, I agree about being attached to all plants. I can't tell you the number of times I considered finding homes for a few plants...walked through the house/outdoors..and thought, okay, which would go? I can't find any I'm willing to part with..lol.

Although, some Agaves are too big for the house, so next year, 'after removing pups,' I 'might' sell on Ebay..a big maybe.

o

Toni,
The real problem is that I would be better off with a younger pair. Meanwhile at this point she's an absolute thug(love her to pieces though). I inherited the males from a friend who was tired of their upkeep and they hadn't been fed near as regularly as she had been and she's thick as a brick by comparison...visibly larger than even the largest male in the group. Oh and she's female all right...I've seen her dropping eggs all over the place(and sadly...eating them). She starts out submissive but the males are too small to wrap around her effectively enough and when they fail to do their part she evidently grows frustrated and proceeds to strip them of their fins. I've had success breeding bettas (and gouramis)in the past but at this rate I'm not expecting anything more from them. Maybe later I will get a younger pair for a fresh start .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here