Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Found new Christmas items in boxstore - giant Thanksgiving Cacti

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

They look like the Thanksgiving Cacti but they are huge. Flowers, height, leaves, everything is huge.

There is also a Christmas frost tipped fern. It looks like a little pine tree with tip of each branch a lovely white color.

Have you seen these?

Comments (32)

• cyberdancer
    10 years ago

jujujojo, you have peaked my curiosity.

Did you buy one? I'm interested in the xmas cactus.

Could you post a pic? Which box store? Would appreciate some info.

Thank You, cyberdancer

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Walmart. Go see it yourself.

• cyberdancer
    10 years ago

Thanks, jujujojo

I guess my Walmart did not get any. I was just there this afternoon and I didn't see anything like that.

cyberdancer

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I was at WM yesterday and didn't see anything like that. Sounds cool though, did you take any pics?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry that your WMs have not yet showing them.

How about those WalMarts in Michigan and Indiana?

I was doing other shopping and could not buy plants last time. Let me bring a camera next weekend to WM. I hope they allow me to take pictures :)

10 years ago

I usually use my phone for pics at WM since taking a camera is kind of cumbersome. The plant area was decimated & being worked on. All of the house plants were shoved hap-hazardly inside, they were cleaning the outside area where they usually are. Nothing new on that front since last visit except some ridiculous Beaucarnea (ponytail palms) in pots w/o holes at the bottom, with a tag that said "bonsai." Hope they'll put something besides Christmas trees out there (and please stop calling stuff like this bonsai!) If the hanging Hoyas improve from being inside, I'll consider one. $11 is steep for these baskets, IMHO, for plants they sunburned as soon as they arrived.

FWIW, that's how my son was putting together his Christmas list yesterday. We took pics of the stuff he said he wanted. That's cool that you'd try to help us see what you saw, TY! If these are as pretty as you say, I'm not sure there will be any left in a week, but I hope so!

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

My Wal Mart puts plants all over the place. Sometimes they put the larger house plants out to sunburn next to the perennials, and sometimes before holidays the holiday plants are up in the front as you come in the door. They know all about enabling. Before Mother's Day they had African violets crammed on a shelf next to the Memorial day wreaths. I've seen lots of Christmas decorations, but no plants so far. But I haven't been there in a while.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, the Christmas fern is called Frosty Fern. It is a kind of Selaginella.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 17:57

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Oh wow! I hope we get something like this. Neither one of our Wal-Marts actually has a houseplant area really.. not like other Wal-Marts I have been in. One doesn't even have an outdoor portion to its garden center. :/ I'll keep an eye out for something like this. I bet you can get pictures. probably no one cares.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Frosty fern is a club moss. It's a pest plant in New Zealand. Needs water. I don't really care if it shows up at my WM at all. I did go today and they have cheap amaryllis box kits and med. red poinsettias. All in between the sliding doors as you go in. It's supposed to get really cold tomorrow, so they will not like their position with the constant cold wintry blasts as folks go in and out. And of course they had even more and more glitzy Christmas stuff, but no TC's that I could find.

10 years ago

Some of this lady's plants have some big blooms. Were they like these?

I saw the same boxed Amaryllis and the rolling carts of Poinsettias still had plastic wrap around them. Also some NIP's with garland & glitter. Bah, I'll wait for Kalanchoes & Aglaonemas, more flats of tiny succulents.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

"They look like the Thanksgiving Cacti but they are huge. Flowers, height, leaves, everything is huge. "

We need to keep this thread going so jujujojo won't forget to take a photo for us... I really want to see a picture of this Thanksgiving Cacti...it sounds like something I need,lol...

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Yes! I am interested in the picture too! And of course you need it. I need it too.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Where's the PIC~?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will bring my camera and talk to the Walmart customer service tomorrow afternoon, after work. I cannot guarantee that they allow me to take pictures. I cannot guarantee that the cacti are still there.

Description of the cacti, they are clearly Thanksgiving Cacti. The flowers are as long as my hand and as thick as my thumb. The leaves or stems are 3 inches wide. They are all small but I consider them giant.

• cyberdancer
    10 years ago

Hi jujujojo,

I sure hope you get to take a pic. Hopefully you will still find some.

What color were the flowers? Was there only one color or different ones? Anxiously awaiting.

cyberdancer

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Jujujojo, for what its worth...I always take pictures of plants at the Big box stores...I have used my Nikon camera and my phone as well...No one has ever come up to me to question what I'm doing...and even if they did I always had an explanation ready:
    "a friend of mine wanted me to pick up this plant and I'm taking a picture to send her to make sure its the right one before I buy it" NO worries, they won't say anything to you...I've done it more times that I care to admit and its always been a NO issue...

If I were you...I wouldn't even ask...I would just take it,lol...

Looking forward to the pictures, Thanks Jujujojo!

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went to the store but they are all out. They have smaller Thanksgivings Cacti in large pots now. I asked the customer service. She said that those large ones were sold out quickly. She suggested me to contact the company if I really want it. I will try next Friday - on the Black Friday :)

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW, I don't think big TC is a big deal. I am sure you have seen the LARGER version of poinsettias!

• Starlight Botanist
    10 years ago

I went to the local WM tonight, and think i saw this. It wasn't quite "giant" but was much larger than the normal ones just above them.

I should have used a standard object for reference. My hands are pretty large, even for a guy. I would say the segments were 75-100% larger than standard TC. However, flowers were close to the same size

{{gwi:114540}}

This post was edited by smishgibson on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 12:42

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by smishgibson none (My Page) on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 23:27

That is not the ones I saw. Mine have huge, unusually large flowers - about the length of 3/4 of your hand and very thick.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I know it's a huge long shot, but I wonder if it was one of the Queens?

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I am thinking the plant in question might be an Epiphyllum, though have never seen them at a Walmart.

Christopher

• cyberdancer
    10 years ago

Hi jujujojo

Did you ever get to go back to WM?

cyberdancer

10 years ago

"Mine have huge, unusually large flowers - about the length of 3/4 of your hand and very thick" I thought from this that you purchased one, JJ?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by cyberdancer (My Page) on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 0:24

cyberdancer, please read my post above :)

• cyberdancer
    10 years ago

jujujojo, I have read all your posts. You said you would try to go back on Black Friday. Just wondered if you had done so. Sorry if I misunderstood.

cyberdancer

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I too am beginning to wonder if what Jujujojo saw was an Epiphyllum, the size of the blooms certainly sounds like it?

Cyber, you didn't misunderstood...I'm guessing he didn't make it on Black friday or they never got more in? Shame, I really wanted to see them also...

Julianna, what is Queens? So many plants I'm not familiar with. Thanks!

Juju, the website below...is this similar to ones you saw at Walmart?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:114539}}

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 16:20

• val1
    10 years ago

Puglvr1 - Below is a link that explains the Queens about which I believe Julianna was talking.

Here is a link that might be useful: History of Christmas Cacti

• val1
    10 years ago

Other website explaining the Queens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schlumbergera - The Queens

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Val!! Appreciate the links...

• teisa
    10 years ago

Yes,Thanks for the links.... very good information. I was unaware of.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner