Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Lemon Cypress as house plant?

greendale
10 years ago

I know I should not buy it before I know what it is. The only tag says "smell me" with a Lemon on it. But I could not resist - I was thinking after Chrismas I will plant it outside and the only concern is if the soil is frozen. But to my horror after some research aka google - it is Lemon Cypress - Cupressus Macrocarpa, is it? It is not hardy in my 6B zone. I am willing to try overwinter it, It is repotted into gritty mix now. Anybody keep Lemon Cypress as house plant, any tips are welcome, and wish me luck.
-Greendale

This post was edited by greendale on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 22:30

Comments (21)

• Will07
    10 years ago

Had one for almost three years but last week it just dried up and died on me. I kept it outside in the summer out of direct sun and in the winter it was in a south facing window. I don't know why it died I think I didn't give it enough water. Mine would over winter fairly well inside but the dry air turned the tips a little brown but they would go back to green once the humidity was fixed. It's a fairly easy plant!

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will, thanks. So cool temp, more light and do not let it dry. It still looking good so far:)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

It's amazing how 'ease to grow,' store employees/managers make a plant sound. Temptation. :)

'Smell Me.' lol.

I agree with Will, your Cypress needs a chilly area. Heat browns fronds.
    Some firs, 'if Cypress is a fir,' needs humidity too. They dislike dry air.

Your tree is so pretty, Green.
    Heck, I'd decorate the tree for Christmas. 'Short period.'

Would you happen to know if Lemon Cypress is hardy to your area? Toni

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni:

Yes, that was what I planned, decorate it as a Christmas tree and then plant outside. But I do not think it is hardy to 6b, from what I read it only hardy to 8b. I like to just have it as house plant for the winter and then summer outside. Wish me luck.

Thanks
    Greendale

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Monterey Cypress (C. macrocarpa) is a warm climate conifer, thriving into the tropical zones. I believe that the limiting factors for Indoor culture will be insufficient light and low humidity, not temperature. Factor in improper watering practices and poor quality potting medium and the chances for failure are pretty high.

There is a Cupressus macrocarpa 'Goldcrest ' that has the common name of Lemon Cypress...not for its smell, but for the yellow tinged new growth. That's what this probaby is.

10 years ago

Removed duplicate post

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 20:21

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, rhizoï¼Âfor the further info. Yes, I do believe it is cupressus macrocarpa 'goldcrest'. I also read about that it smells like lemon when the needle is crushed. Didn't know the common name is from the color though.
    The back of the tag actually says plant outdoors and indoors and with some pic shows how to dig a hole and plant the tree. But nowhere shows the hardy info. Anyway, I will do my best to keep it alive and move it outside when it getting warmer. I will pay more attention to the light and water. Thanks

10 years ago

Good luck...it sure is a handsome plant.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

pic of goldcrest cypress, lemon cypress. These are coastal trees, tolerant of salt spray, it is a cultivar, so, anyway I just got this plant at a super mark down price because it was real close to death and had a blatent piece of bird dropping on it. Cypress is just one of those plants that leaves a lingering question, is it dead or alive.. I think that is perhaps the most infamous thing about them. They do not like wet roots that are drenched but like a small bit of water regularly that drains well. Lemon cypress is real popular in fairy garden type landscape designs, but, pots only afford it life for so long, could be years could be months. Either you like that about them or don't. Misting them mimics a fog or dew, but, it suffices. Assume freshly bought means transplant shock from weeks ago and just leave it in it's pot, don't fertilize for awhile and let it adjust. Relax it is most likely a propagated stick and just needs time. I have in the past killed enough little unique bonsai in the learning process to perhaps save you from doing it, just because testing the limits of various bonsai was a way for me to establish a general method to bonsai. Bonsai can be real cheap. All of them are usually propagated sticks and have had branches and roots relocated on them. That is fine, but they are not as hardy as to just stick them in the dirt walk away and wait or even re-pot. Any tree of any size growing in a pot is a bonsai, just not all are judge worthy. I have decided that a cypress is one that can be versatile in home decor. The rest kind of require some kind of themed room, wall or even corner, even juniper. Cypress kind of blend in better even all gussied up judge worthy of a bonsai event and don't seem so culturally ethnic specific. Just an opinion. In a pot, never assume the thing is drought tolerant.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

in case anyone has the same thing here is a tag to read. btw, I am not giving advice, just sharing what I learned.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

leaves of a lemon cypress. i don't think what the o.p. has is a lemon cypress. however it might be. idk.

This post was edited by mothorchid on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 17:49

• moyasch1937
    8 years ago

I have a large, 3 years old lemon cypress in a large pot, replanted 2 times. I moved from Portland, Or. where I kept it inside, when it got freezing even at daytime. I had two plans , one died on me, freeze outside, the second one dried inside. I wish I did not take this one with me to the mountains in Ca. Big Bear Lake. It was snowing last night, and it is 37F now at 2pm. I do not have a southern window, but have to take it in now, I think. At night it will be below freezing, but it wont freeze at daytime. Any ideas? The plant is 6ft tall, and very healthy , now.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Plant it. Cupressus macrocarpa (Monterey cypress - as in the Monterey Peninsula) is native to CA. And will grow perfectly well outdoors in Portland, OR as well, freezing weather or not. This conifer is much hardier than one would expect, good to at least 0F in ground and to about 15F in a container.

Lemon cypress, Cupressus macrocarpa 'Goldcrest' or 'Wilma Goldcrest', is NOT a houseplant. Just like you would not expect to be able to grow a pine tree indoors, you cannot successfully grow a cypress indoors. It is too dry, too warm and too dark. It also loses its coloring if not in sufficient sunlight.

This plant is as common as mud here in the Puget Sound area, where it is sold in large numbers as a outdoor container planting specimen plant. It is also commonly planted in the landscape. I know of a planting in downtown Seattle where there are two of these flanking an apartment complex entry - they are going on 20 years old and are 15' tall.

• moyasch1937
    8 years ago

Thank you for your comment. Now, what shell I do with it, here in Big Bear Lake? We had snow today, and at night it will go down 27, 28, later on more. I got the wrong info, I was thinking, it will live in a pot for years. Now it is 6 ft high. I was thinking I should advertise it, maybe someone want to take it down the hill.?

• moyasch1937
    8 years ago

This is my first winter up here, 7 thousand elevation. The only place I could keep my tree is in my porch, no snow there, I think I can not pack it , this is a senior place, only carports... It is getting too heavy for me to log around. I have a 1 bedroom apartment, some sun by the entrance. I will move it back there, it gets 27, 28 at nights now. I will advertise on Facebook, in case someone can take it down, and give it a good home. I feel foolish, I talk to my plants, and feed, water them, I have orchids, blooming again, but not to happy in a dry heated room. I moved here because I have sons, grandchildren, and 3 great granddaughters up here, close by. Now you know my life story. Thanks for answering.

• moyasch1937
    8 years ago

I'm saved, from killing the poor three. My grandson will take it down Friday. Thank you for your help, I could see that this place is not for a Lemon Cypress.

• fburn
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Just looked up the lifespan of this tree if kept indoors and stumbled upon this discussion. I was gifted a small potted one that lived in my bathroom for 6 whole years. A couple months ago I started to get worried it was drying up way too fast. As of today, if looks nothing like the photos online; even the new leaves have dried up and would immediately break off so I think I can declare it dead... :(

Not ideal, but it is possible to keep it indoors. I kept the original pot and everything and did not move it out of my bathroom. I have a small window in there so there was sun coming through, but probably not enough. Just kept it watered with light pruning. I'm in Southern California too, so location might matter as well. It was a cute thing in my bathroom too lol. Hopefully someone will find this post helpful!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 months ago

" Not ideal, but it is possible to keep it indoors. "

Only if you want to kill it....sooner rather than later. Plants from temperate climates that are hardy outdoors do not make great houseplants. Indoor conditions are not at all to their liking - too dark, too dry and too warm. Even tabletop or living Christmas trees are suggested to be kept indoors as short a time period as possible. 3-5 days is the typical limit.

• fburn
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I guess I got lucky then since mine lasted 6 years. It was an awkward gift and I don't have the luxury of a backyard or that much room outside to leave it growing. I was bummed out that it died, but yeah I never intended to kill it. Just wanted to share my experience with others.

• clareaq
    2 months ago

I’ve had two that I grew from 15” and now are 42” in large pots. I live in zone 6b Michigan. My husband brings them in every Autumn and carts them upstairs to our second floor bedrooms with east facing windows. They get watered every week. We decorate them with lights and my sons enjoy them when they come home for Christmas. Sadly this will be the last year for this as they will get to large for their pots. I’m looking for an arboretum or greenhouse near me to donate them. I can’t stand the thought of them dying in my cold Michigan winter.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!