Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Cypress as house plant?

Posted by greendale 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 22:26

I know I should not buy it before I know what it is. The only tag says "smell me" with a Lemon on it. But I could not resist - I was thinking after Chrismas I will plant it outside and the only concern is if the soil is frozen. But to my horror after some research aka google - it is Lemon Cypress - Cupressus Macrocarpa, is it? It is not hardy in my 6B zone. I am willing to try overwinter it, It is repotted into gritty mix now. Anybody keep Lemon Cypress as house plant, any tips are welcome, and wish me luck.
-Greendale

This post was edited by greendale on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 22:30

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Cypress as house plant?

Had one for almost three years but last week it just dried up and died on me. I kept it outside in the summer out of direct sun and in the winter it was in a south facing window. I don't know why it died I think I didn't give it enough water. Mine would over winter fairly well inside but the dry air turned the tips a little brown but they would go back to green once the humidity was fixed. It's a fairly easy plant!

o

Will, thanks. So cool temp, more light and do not let it dry. It still looking good so far:)

o

Morning,

It's amazing how 'ease to grow,' store employees/managers make a plant sound. Temptation. :)

'Smell Me.' lol.

I agree with Will, your Cypress needs a chilly area. Heat browns fronds.
Some firs, 'if Cypress is a fir,' needs humidity too. They dislike dry air.

Your tree is so pretty, Green.
Heck, I'd decorate the tree for Christmas. 'Short period.'

Would you happen to know if Lemon Cypress is hardy to your area? Toni

o

Toni:

Yes, that was what I planned, decorate it as a Christmas tree and then plant outside. But I do not think it is hardy to 6b, from what I read it only hardy to 8b. I like to just have it as house plant for the winter and then summer outside. Wish me luck.

Thanks
Greendale

o

Monterey Cypress (C. macrocarpa) is a warm climate conifer, thriving into the tropical zones. I believe that the limiting factors for Indoor culture will be insufficient light and low humidity, not temperature. Factor in improper watering practices and poor quality potting medium and the chances for failure are pretty high.

There is a Cupressus macrocarpa 'Goldcrest ' that has the common name of Lemon Cypress...not for its smell, but for the yellow tinged new growth. That's what this probaby is.

o

Removed duplicate post

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 20:21

o

Thanks, rhizo,for the further info. Yes, I do believe it is cupressus macrocarpa 'goldcrest'. I also read about that it smells like lemon when the needle is crushed. Didn't know the common name is from the color though.
The back of the tag actually says plant outdoors and indoors and with some pic shows how to dig a hole and plant the tree. But nowhere shows the hardy info. Anyway, I will do my best to keep it alive and move it outside when it getting warmer. I will pay more attention to the light and water. Thanks

o

Good luck...it sure is a handsome plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here