Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hottomato99

rosemary as a house plant

hottomato99
9 years ago

Ok. So I was just at a restaurant where there was a beautiful old rosemary plant. My rosemary has been outside for a few frosts etc but still doing well. Can I just pull it inside to over winter? Light will be about the same but what about temperature acclamation? Any ideas or just wait until next year?

Comments (11)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

We need to know where you live to tell you if Rosemary will overwinter outdoors for you. Rosemary makes a very poor houseplant - it dislikes average indoor conditions intensely. I'd only attempt it if there were no alternative way of getting it through the winter.

• paul_
    9 years ago

As Floral mentioned -- though some folks succeed admirably -- rosemary is notoriously difficult to keep as a houseplant.

Where are you located?

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I bought a rosemary plant and put it in the garden. I brought it in and have it in a southern exposure window. It's doing well and I use sprigs for cooking. I don't expect it to last all winter though, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

I also buy a basil plant for the garden but I never have good luck with that, indoors.

• hottomato99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, I am in Massachusetts, which I think is zone 6. It came back from last year, but didnt know if there was a way to keep it going. I certainly don't want to kill it!

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

it would do best in sunny but cool position - 55-60F would be best. smth like insulated, but unheated porch.

• hottomato99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. So dont have a three season porch or anything like that. Back to original question. Can I bring it in to over winter NOW. (Aka, not make it go dormant) again, is there a temperature acclamation like there is with sunlight? To the questions raised , why does rosemary hate indoor conditions? (Humidity, nutrients, drainage etc)? Will I "bonsai" it if i prune it and put in a 511 type mix?

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

One thing that often kills Rosemary indoors is dry air.

I have a couple of sprigs of Rosemary that I brought in from my outdoor garden, just for the smell, thinking I'd have it for a few days. A month later it is still good and growing roots.
    I think because I mist it every day.

• Edie
    9 years ago

Massachusetts goes from zone 5a through 7b. Check the USDA map or search by your zip code to find out which zone you are.

What are you hoping to accomplish by bringing it indoors? Most people who bring it indoors do so because they live where leaving rosemary outdoors guarantees its death. I bring mine indoors and last year was the first time it survived until spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA zone map

• glib
    9 years ago

I bring mine indoors, but leave it outside as long as possible. In Michigan that means bring it in round Thanksgiving, out by April 1. It will take 23F but will be weakened.

It can last several years this way. My wife killed one plant by placing it inside a non- draining vase, and there was standing water 5 inches high. Otherwise, this plant I have is only the second since the 1990s. Yes, indoors rosemary weakens so rates of growth are not very good averaged over the year.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

To the questions raised , why does rosemary hate indoor conditions?

Because indoors does not provide the proper conditions for long term healthy growth. Pretty much any plant native to temperate climates - like what can grow outdoors in most of North America - make very poor houseplants. Hydrangeas, potted azaleas, little tabletop Christmas trees, rosemary, even most bonsai subjects. They are just not happy indoors for any length of time. It is too dry, too warm and without adequate light conditions for long term healthy growth. The key is, if it can grow outdoors here, it will not do well indoors.

Ideally, I would attempt to keep the rosemary somewhere outside that stays above freezing if in a container. Barring that, I'd probably take my chances leaving it planted in the ground. If you simply must bring it in, keep it in the coolest and brightest possible location and rig some method of increasing the ambient humidity in the immediate area - place a couple of glasses of water around it or place in a saucer filled with rocks and keep a level of water in the bottom of the saucer but not in direct contact with the bottom of the container. Misting could help also. Do not overwater the plant - keep the soil just barely moist to the touch.

And realize that if rosemary is not full hardy outdoors in your area, you may need to treat as an annual and replace as necessary each season.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I don't have any tips, just a funny story about the last time I brought a Rosemary inside. It didn't live long and was still in my kitchen when it was time to leave for about 10 days for a vacation. I asked a buddy to come by and check to see if anything was dry while I was gone and put a note in front of the Rosemary, "Rosie! Please take extra special care of this!" I called her and asked, "How's Rosie?" She was like um, well, uhhhh... I couldn't last long before cracking up & telling her what I did.