Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syrcais

Lighting for Red Aglaonema

wendync
11 years ago

So I purchased this beautiful Red Aglaonema at Walmart. I've never really had much interest in them, but the red one was just so pretty with the red/pink stems and red edging on the leaves(not full red leaves, green and red).

I know that this is typically a very tolerant plant as it goes for lighting, but I'm wondering if the red version needs more light than say a normal green one?

I have a very dark living room due to the positioning of the windows--western exposure. However, because of our demonic, plant-munching cats, I can't actually put a plant IN the window, but rather 5 feet away from it on a near by table.

Will this beautiful plant be able to make it in these conditions? Will it lose it's red? I would love to have a plant on two in this room. :/

Comments (20)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Wendy...Congrats...

Aren't red Ag's beautiful? I certainly understand why it ended up in your cart.

Do you have a picture?

I have a few red/pink Aglaonemas..They require bright, 'no direct, south or west 'summer,'' sun.
    Too much sun, colors fade..not enough, colors fade.

During winter, red Ags should be placed in the brightest light...otherwise, once again, color fades.

They're humidity-lovers, so place on stones, spray/mist daily, and shower foliage once a week. If possible, invest in a humidifer.

During gray, winter months, soil needs to dry somewhat between waterings. Never, despite time of year, keep soil muddy. They will rot..been there, done that.

Is your Ag, red or pink? I'd really like to see a photo.
    Do you know its variety?

Ag's will live in shade, but reds/pinks/orange lose color to a degree. Depending on amount of shade.
    At night, artifical lights helps, a LOT!

Good luck, Toni

PS...try not to over-pot.

• wendync
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sure, I'll post a pic. I don't know what type it is, it was just labeled "Red Aglaonema". It certainly isn't as red as some that I've seen on the internet.

The leaf tips are definitely a bright, deep red(though it's difficult to see in the dark picture), while the center of the leaves is green. The leaf stems are a pink color.

I moved it into a room with more light. Want to keep it pretty!

• ericapayne
    11 years ago

I have this exact same plant. I found it at the local Walmart for $12. I liked it so much I bought two of them, one has a bit more pinkish red in the younger leaves.

I have mine in a north window supplemented by a fluorescent lamp in the evenings. I hope this is sufficient to keep it lovely.

Erica

• ericapayne
    11 years ago

Ooopsie I forgot to add that after a bit of research, this variety is most likely "Siam Aurora" or "Crete" for what it's worth, and it comes from Exotic Angel's Florida greenhouses.

• llckll
    10 years ago

These are very good looking plants and I may pick up two from Walmart.

Question - what type of soil would be best? Cactus soil with a mix of perlite/pumice/orchid bark for good drainage?

Are these known as succulent plants?

• Virginia Raines
    8 years ago

My rooms has lots of sunlight will my plant be OK in or near the window

• Esi Staff
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I just got one of these two weeks ago. I've got it on an inside wall near
    a compact fluorescent - seems to be doing okay with the light, but the
    lower leaves are getting limp and turning yellow/dark brown some get
    limp and brown without ever turning yellow. I have been stingy with the
    water. Soil is a real loose potting mix, and I haven't replanted it
    since I got it. Any ideas?

• Justin
    8 years ago

Hi Esi Staff!

It sounds like the soil might have stayed too moist for too long --- probably before you got it. In my experience, that's the easiest way to have a bad experience with them. Like most houseplants, it's best to water when the top inch or two of the potting mix is dry. (How often that is depends on your plant, the size of the pot, the amount of light it gets, and a variety of other factors.) If you still have it, don't try making a bunch of changes; that's a lot of people's immediate reaction --- to start experimenting and seeing if it gets better. But changes can actually exacerbate whatever the problem was in the first place since in nature, plants don't get up and move around to different environments. If you want to learn more, you can at http://www.costafarms.com/plants/red-aglaonema

---Justin, Costa Farms Horticulturist

• Esi Staff
    8 years ago

Thanks Justin - I've pretty much left it alone in the same spot since I brought it home and am watering according to your suggestions. It seems like the leaf dropping has slowed down since I first posted this, and now it only happens occasionally. I am thinking maybe root rot but I'm afraid to disturb it...

• Justin
    8 years ago

Agreed, Esi Staff --- it's best to leave it be and adjust. They do shed older leaves, like most plants, so if it's just the occasional leaf, you have nothing to worry about. :-) If it's not continuing to decline and you're watering it adequately, it should recover from the root rot and begin to flourish once again.

---Justin, Costa Farms horticultrist

• laticauda
    8 years ago

If it's in one of those pots with the saucer attached to the bottom, they stay wet deep down much longer than conventional pots.

I recommend the weight test. If it's heavy, don't water it. If it's light, water it.

Almost killed mine in one of those pots because I didn't realize how wet it stayed at the bottom and for how long.

but now that I know how to use it, I have rooted two types of pothos in the pot and it seems really good for that!

• Justin
    8 years ago

Photo Synthesis: Glad to hear you're enjoying your Red Aglaonemas! Great photo; thanks for sharing! ---Justin, Costa Farms

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Photo, I wish you would post a recent picture of the Red Ags you potted above.

• s23751
    7 years ago

Yes, Red Aglaonemas are gorgeous. I recently planted a pink and a red one under the shade of a Cordyline.

• kgriggs49
    6 years ago

I hope someone can help me with this most unusual problem. I bought a Siam Red Agla (for $60-sounds like I was a little over-charged) but I love it. The problem-I watered it on Sunday and 3 days later there is water on the leaves. I didn't water overhead but these drops of water seem to come out of nowhere and most towards the tip of each leaf. Leak in the ceiling? First thought, but there simply isn't a leak Anywhere. Has anyone ever heard of this or is my expensive purchase possessed? thanks!

• Justin
    6 years ago

kgriggs49: What you're seeing is perfectly natural --- it's a process called guttation. It's not necessarily a sign for the plant, just that it has more water than it really needs. So happily, your Red Ag is not possessed --- and you have nothing at all to worry about.

:-)

---Justin
    Costa Farms Horticulturist

• kgriggs49
    6 years ago

Wow-how have I never heard of such a thing? I'm so relieved though because I thought my comment might be deleted as you all would think I was crazy. I've over watered before and it just ran through to the pan. This is fascinating. Thanks so much Justin!

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

I keep mine in a East window...

• PRO
    YorbaPlants
    4 years ago

Love them all. it seems to me that the red fade away a little too. ❤️

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional