Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf tip burn on multiple new plants..stress?

Posted by wendync 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 22:42

I have recently acquired about 20 new plants. They seem to be doing pretty well, for the most part, but several plants are showing leaf tip burn. I know this could be from the stress of moving, but I'm trying to rule out other things.

I have been watering from the sink with the sprayer, so I suppose it could be from the water. I don't think they are over or under watered.

Perhaps it could be from the changing temps in the sun room?

Most of these plants were repotted over the last weekend because they were in unsuitable temporary pots(though the ones with tip burn had it already).

These are the plants that are experiencing tip burn:

Peace Lily
Dracaena Fragrans
Goldfish plant
Philodendron "Prince of Orange"
Coffee Arabica
Super Dwarf Banana

The other 16 or so do not appear to have this problem, however most of them have only been in my possession for no more than a few weeks at most(some I got last week).

Should I be concerned or just ride it out and hope it doesn't continue(maybe relocation stress?).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf tip burn on multiple new plants..stress?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 12 at 7:12

It is related to stress, but stress is a very broad term used to describe a plant that is operating at or very near the limits it was genetically programmed to deal with. The burned leaf tips or margins indicate the plant cannot move water to its distal parts fast enough to prevent those tissues from dying. The usual suspects are over-watering, which compromises root function and inhibits the plant's ability to move water, and a high level of salts in the soil, which can make it difficult for the plant to take up water. Often a combination of these factors combine to make it difficult for the plant to move water efficiently enough to prevent the burned tips/margins.

Sometimes, plants are sensitive to elements/compounds in water, like fluorine or chlorine, but studies show that in most cases, these influences are taking the rap for something that more rightly belongs at the feet of one of the issues mentioned previously. The condition can be exacerbated by low humidity, but the way you can do the most good is by making sure you provide a healthy root environment. Soils that allow you to water properly and will stay well aerated even after you flush the soil are going to have the most significant impact on correcting the problem, just as poor soils that do NOT allow you to water properly are the most significant contributors.

Raising the humidity around the plant, preferably in the whole room, is also very helpful. Misting will NOT make any evident contribution toward eliminating the problem.

If you want to look deeper into ways that will allow you to water correctly, just ask. Adopting a healthy soil is the best way, but short of that, there are still other things that can be done to help ameliorate these unwanted symptoms.

Al

o
RE: Leaf tip burn on multiple new plants..stress?

Wendy..can you post a few pics w/brown leaf tips?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here