Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-waterers?

Posted by wandering_willow 6 NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 22:43

Hi Everyone,

I just found out that my dorm building is being closed up for my whole four week winter break. I knew we were not supposed to stay, but assumed we could get back in if we needed and that I could get back in to check/water my plants every so often. Mostly this is not a problem and my plants will come home with me for the break (not a long ride, and the same temps, so no real trauma) but I have a couple larger ones who I moved in borrowing my aunt's minivan, and would rather travel with them as little as possible... The dorm will stay moderately heated, and they are near big bright windows, so they should be fine, but I worry about water.

Does anyone have any experience with self-waterers like the ones in the link I will attach? Do they work? Is there a brand you recommend? Worst case scenario they just come home with me - no big deal, and I'd miss them anyway, but I was just curious if this was a possibility....

Here is a link that might be useful: self-waterers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-waterers?

I have used those and yes they work. The plant has to be moist to start with. I put the other ends in a pail of water nearby.
I got mine from gardeners.com which are no longer available. That is a good price you found on amazon.

With the dorm probably cooler they will need less water anyway. As long as no one is in there tipping over the pail they should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here