Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

November blooms

I tried to post in teen's thread Flowers of November (tried 4x), but got this message:
We apologize for any inconvenience, but this thread no longer exists on this forum.

Double white brugmansia, blooming under lights in the basement:
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 23:10

Comments (46)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Rina,
    That's weird. I can see his topic on the list, but when I tried to make a comment just now, it also gave me the same error.

That's an interesting flower, it looks rather waxy. Does it feel waxy?

Planto

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto, it doesn't feel waxy. I think it's the 'shine' of the bloom; it is almost metallic. Grown from a small cutting.
    Rina

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Rina,
    Oh, haha! That's pretty cool to see a bloom on somethinf you've grown from a cutting. Very rewarding. :)

Planto

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Philodendron 'Black Cardinal' blooming.

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

I wonder what happened, I haven't been here in a day or 2

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Last time that happened, I had been temporalily banned from posting, but it is still allowing me to post. I find that alarming and will contact an adm. to try o get help.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

OMG Purp!

That is just awesome!
    (more on this at the aroids forum)

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

that is a awesome bloom. Im a tad bummed my post suddenly is acting up..

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Is it still glitching,Teen?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Mkay...just tried posting to it and yeahhhhh...it's screwed up all right. Hopefully after a chat with the management they will work it out. Good luck Teen!

9 years ago

TY! It looks like something went wrong with the pic on the other discussion, and it broke the code.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Nice detective work there Purp!

Guess that explains that.

Admin shouldn't have any problems fixing it(sounds like an easy fix anyway).

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another Brugmansia blooming in basement, under lights, single yellow-orange...I hope I am not boring you all with brugs blooms...I don't have any 'amazing' plants like purple does!

Rina

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

The devil's trumpet is plenty amazing,Rina. I've always admired them from afar but never actually grew one.

They ARE beautiful though. :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are monsters, asleep...but I like them a lot too. Should have put them to sleep for winter, they take too much space. But there are buds all over. And I got 2 different cuttings & promptly lost tags (I had a single yellow already)...so had to see the blooms to ID. The double white I posted earlier is one of them, hope for a flowers on others to open so I can ID..I really should wait until next spring thou.

Another year long bloomer is 'just run-of-the-mill' euphorbia milii...
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 14:17

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While this is not a house plant, here is a lone survivor of this short summer - very pretty anyways!
    Read on another thread that petunias could be propagated from cuttings, so this is going to be this winters guinea pig.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more while I am at it - this aloe (A. rahuii supposedly), has 2 stalks. Inside, under lights.

Rina

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Nice stuff!

The petunia experiment sounds like fun. There were these brilliant purple tunis in the front bed at the old place...come to think of it,I'm kinda sad I don't have a cutting of that anywhere in my greenery. Shame to lose it. It's one of the rare exceptions to my "strictly foliage" collection habit.

Tunis don't have the ugliest foliage in the world,now that I think about it. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Although succulents really aren't my bag for the most part...I just love the makeshift hanging contraption.

SO creative of you! =)

9 years ago

TY :+) Noticed this Sansevieria bloom stalk this morning. All of my Sans plants were in the ground for summer, so they are shuffled around, but from the very light color of the leaves, it looks like one of this years' pups that is blooming.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

A pup from this year did that and so soon? Wow!

Funny thing...I opened the thread and bumped it to the bottom to scroll up(as this is my usual method),and as I'm seeing the bottom of the sans and it's spike coming on,I immediately chuckle and say to myself that this must be one from Purp,and sure enough,it's you alright!

Always impressive! =)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Rina....What in the world do you do with your Brug in the winter> Do you grow it all winter, or do you cut it back and give it a rest?
    Where do you store it?
    I hear they can be stored in a very cold room lightly watered for dormancy, then too others stick them in a very dark basement and barely water until spring.

It's beautiful! I have one..Where can I get a double bloom? Can I buy a cutting off of you in the spring?
    Beautiful Rine, just beautiful...Hopeing you are well these days...I'm better)

MIke

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

Dorstenia radiata

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

Another type of Dorstenia.

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

Yep. Another dorstenia, lol.

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

I have two of these Plectranthus Mona lavender plants blooming, I really love them cause they have so many flowers and it really cheers me up in these cold, dark days.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike

Thank you...and you are right, they should be "put to sleep" here, during winter.
    But they will grow if you provide.
    I don't have right area to overwinter them sleeping; (they can't freeze) my colder area is about 48 - they will still grow. I also have some figs & same problem, that's too warm for them to sleep. So I just keep watering them & give them light. But they take lots of room. I may try to cut down/water less/keep almost dry at least one of them to see-not sure yet.
    I have also another double but not sure of color since it didn't bloom yet. Will post if/when it will.
    And surely you can have cuttings in spring!
    Keep well.

Rina

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

This is a very floriferous month for me, so here we go...

Ceropegia woodii. First flowering for me, 5.5 months from cuttings, indoors under lights. Showing just one flower for detail, but there are many there.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Dischidia ruscifolia. Dainty tiny little things. There are many flowers at many nodes, but this is detail.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Clivia 'Good Hope'. First blooming for me, rather modest if you compare to googled pictures of this plant, but hey, I am happy, and there are more buds on the way. I bought it blooming size (or close to it) three years ago, but it was probably not getting enough of a cool and dry period in order to set flowers before.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

And a few orchids. Miltoniopsis no id on the left, Oncostele Wildcat 'Bobcat' on the right and barely visible Oncidium 'Twinkle Red' in the middle - that is one of the larger-flowered O. Twinkle clones, if you can believe it.

The photo is taken at the Manhattan Orchid Society meeting, show-n-tell table, or brag-n-gloat table, as it's known when I bring plants.
    :-)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Miltoniopsis flowers, the top one still unfurling. I bought it in bloom with 18 flowers in April. It grew like mad after it was done blooming, and I divided it. This reflowering is weak in number, with only 2 flowers on each of the 2 divisions, but for some reason the flower size is measurably larger - especially the lip is larger. (For those who may not know, the lip is that different-looking bottom petal).

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Oncostele (fmr. Oncidium) Wildcat 'Bobcat' flower unfurling. First blooming for me. They start this very dark brown color, but then become lighter and redder over a few days. It's been in bloom for almost a month, and no sign of it wanting to stop yet.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Oncidium 'Twinkle Red' detail, sorry, out of focus.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Another orchid was in bloom earlier this month or maybe in October (call me a cheater) - Aerangis luteo-alba. And that is all I got for now.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is lots of orchid blooms...very pretty. Miltoniopsis looks like a giant pansy...

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

The common name for it is "pansy orchid"!

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

The only plants that I Have flowering right now are my Spiders..... :\

• paul_
    9 years ago

Most of my bloomers are repeaters ......

{{gwi:100736}}

{{gwi:83263}}

{{gwi:102951}}

{{gwi:77798}}

{{gwi:83271}}

{{gwi:114667}}

8 years ago

Links to "November Blooms" from previous years:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1495019/november-blooms?n=52

Echeveria 'Gray Red'

Aloe bellatula.

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

Euphorbia milii Now THATS One I'd LOVE to Get My Hands on But I've Never Seen Them For Sale, Is There a Season For When They are Sold?

Thanks

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ninecrow

I don't know about England, but I see them in stores here in Canada throughout the year, can't really tell if any particular season. One of the garden centers I frequent has them all the time.

Rina

• ninecrow
    8 years ago

Thanks Rina......

Will Keep My Eyes Peeled.....

• Paul MI
    8 years ago

I would suggest placing this year's blooms in a 2015 thread instead of last year's.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Paul

You are right, so everyone, click & post here: November 2015 blooms