Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant propagation

Posted by bjwilli88 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 23:20

Hi everyone. I am a new member and fairly new to indoor plants. I was just wondering if it's possible to propagate plants in the winter, or if you have to wait until spring. Specifically, I'm currently trying to propagate a cutting from aloe vera, a leaf cutting from a jade plant and a cutting from a pothos that I'm trying to root in water. Am I wasting my time with this right now being as it's creeping up on winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant propagation

Hi Bjwillie,

No, not necessarily wasting your time. A Pothos can be water rooted any time of the year, I started some a month ago & they're doing great now.

A Jade leaf will happen eventually, not sure how you exactly you mean a leaf cutting, but usually if left dry for some time a Jade leaf will develop roots.

Aloe cutting, again, tricky words. An Aloe needs a division, like one small plantlet w/ its central crown (rosette); it won't grow from leaves themselves. I don't think I'd tried it Winter, may be VERY slow.

o

Thanks for the response. This forum is awesome!

Just a little more information on what I'm doing.

The jade plant, I cut off a leaf and just set the cut end on top of dry soil, basically just leaning the leaf up against the side of the pot.

On the aloe vera, I cut a 4 inch leaf from the plant and let the cut end callus over for a few days. I then stuck that into a small pot with cactus and succulent mix. Does this method work, or does it have to be by division?

o

That will not work for the aloe.
As PG stated, it must be an offset, or the leaf needs to have some of the stem attached. Just a leaf will not root. Sorry...
JoJo

o

Glad you're finding this helpful so.

Additionally, if you check out next door at the Cactus & Succulent Forum (C&S for short, see top of this site) you'll find lots of info. on both Jades (more than you'll know what to do with) & Aloes, including Aloe vera.

The Jade leaf as you're describing it sounds just right, just don't water it yet. After a while, it'll put out tiny roots & eventually baby leaves. Then, you can water the mix very lightly, but pls. NO WATER 'til you see new growth. Enjoy!

o

Good to know. Thank you very much! I guess I'll just go ahead and throw out my aloe "leaf cutting", lol. I'm glad I checked here so I wasn't waiting around for something to happen.

o

PG~
Good of you to direct bj to Cactus and Succulents. :) I spaced it out. (crazy day here)

bj~
I was going to try and root a hybrid aloe the same way and the good people @ C & S were kind enough to teach me.

PG is right, you'll find tons of info there.
Hope to see you over in cactus.

JoJo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here