Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yucca Cane

Posted by black_thumb_2010 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 23:34

I've just bought a yucca cane palm from Ikea. Yucca Elephantipes.
COuld some one tell me specifically:
1. How much light does it need? and therefore what would be an ideal plant placement position?
2. How much water it needs? It is in a 10" pot, has 3 canes each with a head full of leaves.
3. How often ought I water it?
4. Any specific tips

I'd really appreciate any help I get.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yucca Cane

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 14:38

Very bright light.

You should be thinking in terms of watering on an 'as needed' basis, rather than a schedule. Water when a sharpened dowel rod stuck deep into the pot comes out clean/dry. You should be able to water so that at least 10-15% of the total volume of water applied exits the drain hole. If you can't, you need to find a way so you CAN water as described, or take steps to ensure the entire soil volume gets flushed regularly. The goal here is to prevent soluble salts from accumulating and negatively affecting growth and appearance.

Al

o
RE: Yucca Cane

Blackthumb. In winter, place your Yucca in the brightest window. Although Yuccas thrive in full sun, they need adapting if placed outdoors in summer.

Water when soil is dry. Yucca is or is very much a succulent, and depending on the soil it's potted it makes a difference..
Then again, since your plant has 3 canes and potted in a 10" pot, the soil will probably dry fairly quick. Hopefully, the container has drainage holes. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here