Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sad little plant

Posted by atown MI (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 23:40

I found this at home depot today- in a mixed "cactus planter" that contained several dead crispy succulents and two remaining live stalks of this plant. I am decidedly NOT a succulent person (I kill them, but after reading this forum for awhile, I realize a lot of that is because of soil choice.) but figured I could at least try. I got them to sell it to me for a dollar. The soil in the planter was covered in course gravel that had actually been glued together and to the pot, so I had to pull all this gummy gravel out piece by piece to even get the plant out. Gross. Who does that? Anyway...Anyone know what this is, and what kind of shape you think it's in? Any suggestions on pruning/potting? I just threw it in some soil/bark/perilite that I had already mixed. Not a final potting, but better than what it was in. I haven't watered it yet...should I? Again, I'm a succulent-killer, so I'm afraid.

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/oshea-the-dj/Plantaholics Anonymous/IMG_2178.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/oshea-the-dj/Plantaholics Anonymous/IMG_2179.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/oshea-the-dj/Plantaholics Anonymous/IMG_2193.jpg[/IMG]
Also, I picked these up off the floor from a really neat plant. Anyone know what it is and if it will root?
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/oshea-the-dj/Plantaholics Anonymous/IMG_2187.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sad little plant

Well, that didn't work AT ALL! It is too late for me to be operating a pc, apparently. I will try again tomorrow.
Amy

o

Amy, the "twins" look like Portulacaria afra and look to be ok. Don't water them for a few days yet.
The little guys are a type of Rhipsalis.

Nancy

o

Heythere, atown. The formula for showing a pic in the thread:

(substitute < for [ and > for ]...

[IMG SRC="http://www.webaddress.com/photoName.jpg"]

Here's your pics:

Also, I picked these up off the floor from a really neat plant. Anyone know what it is and if it will root?

o

Hi Atown,

The last cuttings are a jungle cactus called Hatiora salicornioides, which should root, I'd give it bright, indirect light & periodic water.

o

Purpleinopp, thanks for the tech support! And thanks for the IDs, guys. Are the stems too long? Should I chop them or let them be? I love some of the photos I've seen on here of the really thick trunks and stubby growth...Could that apply to this plant? Are there already threads on how to accomplish that?

o

No, not the same thing, those are Jades, these are not, they're Portulacaria afra, completely different plants tho' they may look similar.

Also, sorry to tell you, but you have mealy bugs, that white fuzzy stuff at the top of the plant. Pls. read around for treatment for mealy bugs, w/ alcohol on Q tips. It spreads, so you need to treat for it now.

o

You're welcome ;)

o

I am aware that jades are a different species, but I thought I had seen one of these with a thicker trunk in someone's photos. Also, I am aware of the mealy bugs. This plant is isolated from other plants and will remain so until parasites are eliminated. I'm not new to plants, just don't typically do succulents, although I I have some common ones- aloe vera, a jade cutting that I've managed to keep alive, thanksgiving cactus. I've got basic care down, I just thought maybe I could get some feedback on specifics for this species.

o

Atown,

I hear ya; I believe Josh (Greenman) grows these & has posted about them.

While I can't give you any tips (this is a plant I've killed repeatedly), I'm sure if you search this forum for Portulacaria afra posts, you'll find a fair amount of care info. HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here