Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new dracaena marginata -- care tips

Posted by SheEatsFigs none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 23:42

I just bought this beautiful dracaena marginata at an estate sale. I love love love it. I've done a little research and know I've got to be careful not to over-water it and that I should spritz the leaves with water to keep them shiny. Other than that, is there anything I should know to do?

I really love it's size and 'movement' and don't want it to change at all. Is that realistic and is there anything I can do to preserve it's basic size and form over the coming years?

Also, I'm wondering if I should repot it or if it's fine the way it is. It just fits in the pot it was sold in. No bulging, tho there is one root that's starting to push its way out the bottom opening. It doesn't *appear* to be root bound. I've read that a smaller pot could be better, since it'll discourage root rot. Thoughts?

As an aside, it's got nice morning and afternoon light from a west-facing window..

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new dracaena marginata -- care tips

Beautiful tree! I would encourage you to read this.

"I've read that a smaller pot could be better, since it'll discourage root rot." Pot size has nothing to do with rotting roots. Roots rot when they have too much moisture and too little air. This is explained well in the link.

A pot without a drain hole is very dangerous, excess water should be able to escape. Dracaenas are also sensitive to tap water chemicals. Distilled is a good, inexpensive option, or catching rain water during the summer, or condensate water from a dehumidifier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here