Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

ad popping up

all of sudden, i village ad pops up every time I click on any of the messages to read. anybody having this happening??? very annoying!!!

Rina

Comments (15)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I had the same problem until I installed Ad Block Plus onto my laptop, No more pop ups :>)
    https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox
    Christine

• Will07
    10 years ago

Going to stop coming on this site now that ads pop up on every single forum or 'click'.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

It is not happening to me.. I guess now it will!!! Lol

Laura.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Ad Block Plus does the trick.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I have to disable flash player to use this site. Otherwise, the pages are "in slow motion" and won't scroll right. I appreciate ads supporting our use of this free site but GW has the most intrusive ads I've ever seen (short of those that make 10 pages open that you can't close.) I don't appreciate the attachment of ads to words in posts. Cheesy.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Rina,
    I don't have messages enabled, so I'm not experiencing ads while clicking in messages. However, every time I come to the forum list (doesn't matter which forum), the advertisement that's at the top of the page proceeds to "enlarge" itself right over the first five or so posts in the forum. It's usually Hallmark or someone "reputable," but I've accidentally not clicked on the "X" right and it took me to their website. Gah.

Planto

• auron22
    10 years ago

I hate ads with a burning passion of a thousand suns......

Rina,
    I hope you find a way to eliminate them. What browser do you use?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I haven't been here a while. Ads were annoying before but I can't believe the number of pop-ups there are now.

Although they're a pain, are ads what keeps GW forum alive...the reason we get to talk for free?
    If that's the case, I don't mind one bit. Toni

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

AdBlock plus. Add it to your browser.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I just don't get why people are so reluctant to use AdBlock...it works. There is a solution, and if you don't want to use it, why complain?

Christopher

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Wow, I don't see where anyone said they were refusing to use AdBlock.

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

I have a queston, if you use adblock, can you open things people post,lile pictures and any links? I have found that using any type of pop up blocker I can't open pictures and links that people post....linda

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Linda,

Congratulations on baby Samantha (I'm also at Quilters Forum); may they be happy & healthy.

I installed AdBlocker shortly after getting this laptop Fall '12 & I rarely have trouble opening any links or anything like that. I haven't regretted it.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Firefox took care of the ad.

I understand about ads supporting GW, but having to either wait (so many sec) for it to close or close it every time to be able to read anything on the forum is really annoying.
    Rina

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Nor do I have any problems with ads or pop ups anymore. But if I did, the FIRST thing I would do is contact the administrators and tell them. These forums are not "guarded " and are more or less self monitored. It is not in the best interest of IVillage to use tactics that prevent the uninterrupted use of this website, believe me!

If you see annoying ads such as described recently, the admin needs to know. Pop ups are your problem.....they can very easily be stopped by installing an ad block program of some sort.

If you see overt spam....report it. If you see incidents of repeated bullying.....report it. Any advertising that has gone haywire needs to be reported, too.

The only ads we should see will be along the top and riight side of the screen. Those are how GardenWeb is paid for. We should welcome those!