Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kong coleus is dying---help!

Posted by ravenhairedmaid none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 0:26

I bought a gorgeous, healthy kong coleus last summer, but it is not doing well now indoors. I have tried it in several windows, but the stalks keep turning this deep brown that starts at the roots and goes up, gradually turning the stalk brown. It's down to three stalks, and I'm at a loss what to do. I just asked a friend with a big picture window to "foster" it, since his home is warmer & gets more light than mine. I know it's a low light plant, but it's BEEN in low-to-moderate light with no improvement.

Please, any help would be very appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kong coleus is dying---help!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 14:09

There is no information that gives us a hint to where you live, which would be helpful. All houseplants appreciate very bright light - perhaps not direct sun, but very bright light, nonetheless. Most coleus weaken after they bloom. Hormones and decreasing day length can be blamed for that, but pinching helps to keep them from blooming and helps keep them bushy.

There's not enough information in your post to say with any certainty what the problem(s) might be, but if we only consider what the odds suggest, we would look first to the probability of a heavy soil combined with habitual over-watering. A close second in the line-up of suspects would be the contributory effects of low humidity indoors.

It sounds like you're seeing the symptoms of any one of a number of possible fungal infections, often lumped under the general descriptions of 'damping off' disease or 'root rot'.

Al

o

Just a guess, but it may be you are watering it too much. It went thought a drastic change from outdoors to inside and usually will loose a lot of leaves and get resettled. If you gave it too much water, then it will develop stem/root rot. Let it dry out, even to the extent of loosing all it's leaves. Slowly give it water only when it is extremely dry. It may be too late. Try to save a few stem cuttings and root them in water in a warm bright spot. Change the water every other day. Use old set out water to remove the chlorine.
Best of luck.
Stush

o

Raven, I second taking Healthy cuttings, rooting in water.
Remove bottom leaves before placing in water. 'Otherwise they'll rot, making water murky,' and cuttings will soften, be useless.

Change water every other day. Tepid water is best, so keep a second, cleaned container filled w/water.

When it's time to change, discard old water, replace with water from the clean container. Don't forget to fill the container so it's available for the next change.

Coleus cuttings root in shade to medium light..no bright/direct.

After roots are 4" plus, transfer to soil or whatever medium you use.

For some reason, Kong Coleus are fussier than other Coleus. But, don't be discouraged.
Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here