Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaksqueak

Rohdea japonica as a house plant

eaksqueak
9 years ago

I just impulse ordered some Rohdea japonica off eBay. I read that it is similar to Aspidistra (a favorite of mine) except more cold hardy. I've read dozens of house plant books and never heard of it before, even though it is apparently a popular collector plant in Japan. Does anyone here keep this plant indoors? If so, do you have any advice on its care? Thanks.

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

The plant will need an annual cold rest (dormant period) to perform well AND to keep it from simply entering into a random dormant period in the subsequent growth cycle, from which it's very unlikely to recover ...... and it's probably not going to like indoor winter conditions in your zone, which will literally have air with lower humidity than the earth's driest deserts.

Al

• paul_
    9 years ago

I would suspect that even worse than the lack of humidity Al mentioned, will be the lack of sufficient cold indoors. The dormancy issue Al spoke of is a very real problem for many plants which require a cold dormancy to remain vigor. Have you determined how you could supply it with the necessary dormancy period? (Do some research to see just how cold it gets in its natural habitat.)

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

In my copy of Success with House Plants I see Rohdea japonica is called Lily of China and is in the lily family. Maybe that has changed now, of course, my book being dated 1979. There are plain and variegated varieties.
    According to the text, the plants like medium light and no sun in order to flower, though they can be grown in darker places if you don't care about flowers. They like temperatures between 55 to 65 degrees fahrenheit, except during the winter rest period when they prefer to be about 50 degrees.. In a warm room they need help with humidity such as standing on a pebble tray. Even when resting they need enough water to keep them from drying out, more when they are actively growing, and they like peat moss or leaf mould in the soil.
    I suppose they do resemble aspidistras, but flower in the foliage of the plant and not at ground level as aspidistras do. I bet the variegated ones would be lovely and could grow in a shady place indoors like aspidistras, when you wouldn't be worrying about whether they flowered or not.
    I'm glad I had a reason to look them up, eaksqueak, so thanks for that :)

• eaksqueak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Belated thanks for the replies. The plants I got turned out to have some kind of scale on them, so I threw them away. I may try my luck again when the weather warms up.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH