thatadeniumguy
10 years ago

Here's my list:
Red Chenille Plant
Red Shrimp Plant
Jasmine Sambac 'Maid of Orleans'
Panama Rose
Philodendron 'pink princess'

Please include how to propogate and yes/no on if I can grow hydroponically in moving, heavily oxygenated water, in a hot, humid greenhouse with as much light as they need to grow (individually catered). Philo's just like propogating any normal philo right? I was told pink princess is in fact vining and not self-heading, like I hoped. Can you confirm/deny?

Comments (5)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi TAG,

Since this has gone unresponded to thus far today, perhaps it's time for you to start doing some of your own searches.

When you're asking how to prop 5 different plants, as well as for particulars on specific care, hydro & greenhouse conditions, you've asked a lot, in both number of items & quantity of info requested.

That said, there's NO reason for you NOT to try some searches on your own.

It's easy, I'll start you off: go to Google & type in something like this:

"Jasmine Sambac 'Maid of Orleans', care & propagation of"

You'll have lots to read, enjoy!!

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I already googled jasmine last week, they said yes but I wanted to know if any1 had extra details. Philo, I pretty muched assumed so. I need to update the list. These plants have no data on the internet about water-rooting or have mixed answers:
    chenille plant
    shrimp plant (One guy says yes but not much else on the how.. Not enough info..)
    Panama Rose

• jean001a
    10 years ago

A search using "propagate shrimp plant" -- without the quotes -- provides lots of links.

Rooting in water is popular among home gardeners. But what they don't know/realize is that those "water" roots will die once in potting mix.

If roots develop in water, they should be max 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. Their only reason for being is to provide some stability for the cutting once it's in potting mix.

If you always start in water, try something new. Start half the cuttings in water, half in moist potting mix.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Generally, it's not possible to propagate woody entities (even if the cutting is not yet lignified) in water, they rot. I'd get past that notion for everything except the Philo and Pentas (if that's what your Panama rose is.) The above info about moving to soil as soon as you see roots begin to form is what I'd say also for these two (and water props in general.) PP is a vine. Attaching a pic of a big old mama plant I saw at a store.

Timing is often as important as method, so pay attention to that info when you're reading stuff.

It's great that you're here with this interesting question, but most who do any water props on this forum wouldn't consider it hydroponics or find a greenhouse necessary due to timing. During the times of vigorous new growth, plants would likely be outside. Combine the word hydroponics with that & anecdotes will be slim. If you are just interested in propagating these generally, that's more of something folks here can tell you about.

Have you tried putting cuttings in the ground, if that's an option? With woody entities, that's my most successful method to date in general, but I usually do try that. Tending pots of cuttings is a serious PITA.

Another thing to investigate is surface layering. (Outside, when it's warm,) try bending a branch to the ground or another pot. Put a rock or brick, or U-shaped something to hold it in contact with the surface, but not heavy or sharp enough to break it. Moisten the surface occasionally (but thoroughly watering is totally unnecessary.)

Jean's advice about how to search is great, but I would stick to botanical names when doing it. I don't know offhand what plant 'shrimp plant' refers to, but if it's one of those names that's commonly used for more than one plant, you may read the wrong advice.

This PP was hanging above my head. You can't even see the pot. It can dangle like this or climb up something.

If you show some pics before making cuts, you might avoid some possible mistakes that way also by getting more specific advice about size, which part looks most promising, yada yada.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Adenium Guy,

Hi Welcome! There are alot of very informative people on the Forum. Just give your topic time, along with searching the web, and Im sure you will get information. Just like Purple and Jean offered you advice, others also wil.

I had alot of questions (and still do)when I started growing different houseplant. I wish I could offer help to you on your plants but Im mostly Hoya and succulent growing.

Teisa