Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Many Plants

Posted by stonesriver 6B Tennessee (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 0:42

Hi, Everyone:

I have 200+ African violets and Streps on reservoirs in addition to 20 or so foliage tropicals.

Is there an easier way than going from sink to home office one gallon at a time to water?

The AVs and streps are in a soilless mix and need to be fed with each watering so one of those "hook up to the faucet" thingies is not an option.

I was wondering what you had tried? I'm thinking about a rolling base with a Rubbermaid-type container in which I can dip the watering can.

Thanks and Happy Growing,

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Many Plants

I once had about 400 sansevieria and I found a drip irrigation system in some obscure catalog that had tiny plastic tubing with a weight on the one end and fitted into a ''main'' on the other end. Don't remember where I found it.

o

Albert, you have a nursery or hobby? I love Sans.

Linda, how about a 5 gal. water jug. They sell hand pump or elect. pumps to fit the top. That way you can age and fertilize your water and since it's low pressure, can use a long tube wand to water them. Might have to home make it up but I had something similar when I worked and had to water all the plants I brought in during the winter months in my office. I went thought 5 gallons a week of water.

o

Linda..I was going to suggest the hose attachment, too, but since you fertilize, that option is out.

What about the hose w/plastic container, the type used for outdoors? The plastic containers come in different sizes. Some very large, but heavy, too.

When I worked at Rentokil, we watered with the most amazing tank ever made. It held 25 gallons of water, came with attachments. Fertilizer could be added if you planned on using all 25 gallons in one watering.
It had two wheels for easy transport.

I wanted one sooo bad until I checked prices..lol..I'd have been happy with a ten gallon but never found one.
Another problem would have been hauling it up and down stairs..it's heavy, impossible to do.

This may or may not be to your liking but one other thing you can try, 'I do this,' is fill several containers, 'old, cleaned milk containers w/water. I hide containers behind larger plants. When it's time to water and/or fertilizer, the water is ready to go. They'll need refilling but it's double work using one container at a time when one has a lot of plants.
The water is room temp, which is another reason I prefer keeping several containers.

Up until two years ago, I kept 17 milk containers handy..lol. X amount were in different rooms, behind plants, ready to use.

Good luck, hope you find a solution. Toni

o

Found a Bucket Taxi when Googling. It may be $60 but my knees and back will thank me. It's 36" high so should be easy to fill.

See what you think.

Linda

o

Linda, what is a Bucket Taxi? If it's what I'm thinking, sounds like something I can use. 60 or not...lol. Toni

o

Hi, Toni:

Try this link. There are other colors and you can also get it from Sears.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Bucket Taxi

o

Linda, thanks for the site. It's surely something to consider.
After our CC's lower, 'Christmas, lol' think I'll look into it.

Hauling numerous milk cartons are a pain in the back and knees..lol. Toni

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 31, 11 at 18:04

If you're interested in a cart or backpack sprayer that would work well as a water or fertigation solution dispenser, manual pump-up or battery operated, you could try Gemplers.

Copy/paste addy to your browser: http://www.gemplers.com/backpack-sprayers

Al

o

Thanks, Al. I'll look into those as well.

Linda

o

Is there a Harbor Freight tools store aroud you? You can also mail order this. Buy a Heavy Duty Hand Truck (dolly) for $35. Attach your 5 gallon water bottle with rubber strech cords (also sold there). And one water bottle hand pump. Section of plastic hose to extend from the hand pump and you got a nice watering system.

o

Hi Folks,

Can someone pls. define fertigation for me. I have seen Josh use it & now Al, but I still don't now what it means, something about fertilization + irrigation? TIA

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 20:49

Fertigation = watering with a fertilizer solution. You had it right.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here