Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

Watering Many Plants

stonesriver
12 years ago

Hi, Everyone:

I have 200+ African violets and Streps on reservoirs in addition to 20 or so foliage tropicals.

Is there an easier way than going from sink to home office one gallon at a time to water?

The AVs and streps are in a soilless mix and need to be fed with each watering so one of those "hook up to the faucet" thingies is not an option.

I was wondering what you had tried? I'm thinking about a rolling base with a Rubbermaid-type container in which I can dip the watering can.

Thanks and Happy Growing,

Linda

Comments (12)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

I once had about 400 sansevieria and I found a drip irrigation system in some obscure catalog that had tiny plastic tubing with a weight on the one end and fitted into a ''main'' on the other end. Don't remember where I found it.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Albert, you have a nursery or hobby? I love Sans.

Linda, how about a 5 gal. water jug. They sell hand pump or elect. pumps to fit the top. That way you can age and fertilize your water and since it's low pressure, can use a long tube wand to water them. Might have to home make it up but I had something similar when I worked and had to water all the plants I brought in during the winter months in my office. I went thought 5 gallons a week of water.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Linda..I was going to suggest the hose attachment, too, but since you fertilize, that option is out.

What about the hose w/plastic container, the type used for outdoors? The plastic containers come in different sizes. Some very large, but heavy, too.

When I worked at Rentokil, we watered with the most amazing tank ever made. It held 25 gallons of water, came with attachments. Fertilizer could be added if you planned on using all 25 gallons in one watering.
    It had two wheels for easy transport.

I wanted one sooo bad until I checked prices..lol..I'd have been happy with a ten gallon but never found one.
    Another problem would have been hauling it up and down stairs..it's heavy, impossible to do.

This may or may not be to your liking but one other thing you can try, 'I do this,' is fill several containers, 'old, cleaned milk containers w/water. I hide containers behind larger plants. When it's time to water and/or fertilizer, the water is ready to go. They'll need refilling but it's double work using one container at a time when one has a lot of plants.
    The water is room temp, which is another reason I prefer keeping several containers.

Up until two years ago, I kept 17 milk containers handy..lol. X amount were in different rooms, behind plants, ready to use.

Good luck, hope you find a solution. Toni

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Found a Bucket Taxi when Googling. It may be $60 but my knees and back will thank me. It's 36" high so should be easy to fill.

See what you think.

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Linda, what is a Bucket Taxi? If it's what I'm thinking, sounds like something I can use. 60 or not...lol. Toni

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Toni:

Try this link. There are other colors and you can also get it from Sears.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Bucket Taxi

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Linda, thanks for the site. It's surely something to consider.
    After our CC's lower, 'Christmas, lol' think I'll look into it.

Hauling numerous milk cartons are a pain in the back and knees..lol. Toni

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

If you're interested in a cart or backpack sprayer that would work well as a water or fertigation solution dispenser, manual pump-up or battery operated, you could try Gemplers.

Copy/paste addy to your browser: http://www.gemplers.com/backpack-sprayers

Al

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Al. I'll look into those as well.

Linda

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Is there a Harbor Freight tools store aroud you? You can also mail order this. Buy a Heavy Duty Hand Truck (dolly) for $35. Attach your 5 gallon water bottle with rubber strech cords (also sold there). And one water bottle hand pump. Section of plastic hose to extend from the hand pump and you got a nice watering system.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Can someone pls. define fertigation for me. I have seen Josh use it & now Al, but I still don't now what it means, something about fertilization + irrigation? TIA

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Fertigation = watering with a fertilizer solution. You had it right.

Al

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio