Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova12_gw

Has anyone tried this, I have mites??

nova12
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I have found mites again on a few of my houseplants. I seem to be battling this every few months. I have tried a few different things and they work for the time being. I am not asking how to treat the mites, I am wondering if anyone has used the Prozap Insect Guard? It looks promising but I would like a few opinions before I buy it.

I have children, but they are old enough to know not to put them in their mouths. But I wonder if this "Guard" leaves something behind....my children do help with the plants, so they are touching them ,and there is always the possibility of hands in mouth. I also have a dog that I would be concerned for. They claim it is safe for use around humans and animals, but I am hoping someone out there has used this before or can explain why this would not work. I mean if this would work, a lot of people could spend a lot less time treating critters.

Thanks everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prozap insect guard

Comments (6)

• jean001
    16 years ago

According to the MSDS, the actie ingredient is dichlorvos, an organoaphosphate. The instructions say "Keep out of reach of children"

http://www.critterridders.com/Prozapmsds.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: MSDS for the product

• watergal
    16 years ago

Detail from the label:

"Do not use in any rooms or closets of rooms where infants, children and the sick or aged are or will be present for any extended period of confinement. Do not use in kitchens (except cupboards), restaurants or areas where food is prepared or served. Do not use in any area of the home where people will be present for extended periods of time."

Organophosphates are one of the more dangerous classes of pesticides. And the product doesn't even claim to control mites, just things like mosquitos, flies, cockroaches, etc. I would NEVER use one of these in my house. I'd throw out the infested plants first!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

I sure agree with watergal! This is not a product intended for normal household use. The label specifically states that this substance should be limited to garages, basements, crawl spaces, attics, etc. Humans of any age and pets of all kinds shouldn't be exposed to this kind of toxin chronically.

• kristgray
    16 years ago

I had a bad case of mites in almost all of my plants after "plant sitting" for my brother. (He brought the plant to my house for a summer.) And, I know you said you aren't asking how to treat them, but I cleaned up any visible webs with q-tips, then I sprayed them heavily with dishsoap/water a few times a day for maybe two days. Then I sprayed them with just water several times a day for a week or so, and I haven't had mites again.

• Mentha
    16 years ago

I used to use Fit veggie wash, then would run out quickly. Now I use homemade veggie wash for mild cases of mites, it will work if used a few times in succession, about once a week for a month.

here are a few recipes I've found since I can't seem to find the one I use which is basiclly lemon juice, baking soda, a drop of dish soap, and water. I spray on then about ten minutes later rub the leaves under running water, either sink or tub. I would be leary of using vinegar though since it is used as a natural weed killer.

1 tablespoon lemon juice
    10 drops grapefruit seed extract
    2 tablespoons low-sodium baking soda
    1 cup purified water
    3/4 cup vinegar

Mix well in a sprayer bottle.
    Shake before use.
    Spray produce (except mushrooms) and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
    Rinse well.

Combine 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to 2 Tablespoons of baking soda with 1 cup of water. I put this mixture in a sprayer bottle and keep it under the sink. Spray fruits and veggies and allow them to sit for a few minutes then wipe with a towel. This also makes for a safe cleaner to let your children use as they "play" scrub the kitchen with you!

1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons baking soda
    1 cup water
    Put this mixture in a sprayer bottle.
    After spraying, let produce sit for a few minutes.
    Rinse well.

add a few tablespoons of vinegar to a bottle of clean, cold tap water. Shake well and spray on veggies and then wash under flowing clean water as usual.

Another thing you can use is a spray of fish emulsion which will suffocate the little nasties, but will also have to be repeated. I prefer the citrus type because it doesn't smell as much.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

mentha, just a quick comment on your vinegar caveat. Vinegar works as an herbicide but only when used at a 100% rate. When diluted, it can be used perfect safety to clean plants, adjust the pH of the water for your plants, and many other purposes. By the way, lemon juice is more acid than vinegar, according to the pH scale! ;-)

(But it DOES smell better!)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations