Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parker806

use of aqua globes for watering plants?

parker806
15 years ago

does anyone use the aqua globes or watering globes for your plants? i just received some i ordered and am curious if they really work or not. i got mine from yourstoreonline.net and they are called watering globes but look just like the aqua globes for a fraction of the price. thanks for the info and happy gardening. vicki

Comments (14)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Vicki, these pretty little gadgets simply don't work...for a variety of reasons. Use them for their ornamental value, but if you hope that they will provide a useful service....even 'a fraction of the cost' is too much.

I'm going to attach a link to a thread in the Container Forum about Aqua Globes (in which there is yet another embedded link) that will cover most of the problems.

If you have any questions after that, please let us know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here, Vicki

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Parker,

You might want to check out this link...HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Do Aqua Globes Work?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Lol - I'd already copied the same link to paste it here, but I see you guys had it well covered. Merry Christmas! ;o)

Al

• amccour
    15 years ago

Even if they worked as advertised they still don't make a lot of sense.

First, if they did work like that, wouldn't they really increase the chances of rot?

Second, they're supposed to only hold enough water for two weeks anyway. Okay. That's STILL not a long enough period of time to introduce any sort of convenience.

Third, if it's supposed to help you if you forget to water the plant... what's stopping you from forggeting to water the Aquaglobe?

Going off of point three, how long is it till somebody invents a little beeping meter for the aquaglobe to test for fullness?

• reiver
    15 years ago

Very timely thread! We were just about to order.
    Thanks
    Mike

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

I've been wondering whether or not these things actually work as advertised. The general consensus here seems to be "No." My local Dollar General store recently got some in, and they were marked at $5 each. I thought about getting one, but decided against it. Apparently I'm not alone, since they've only sold 2 or 3 of them since they got them in a few months ago.

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I purchased 8 aqua globes, then went on vacation for 3 weeks. They work for that purpose! My plants are high up on ledges. I didn't want to ask a friend or neighbor to climb a ladder to water my plants while I was gone, then get sued when they fell! :0)

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

So Nicole,

Did you feel that they worked for you or not please?

• nicole__
    15 years ago

pirate girl.....I think they deliver water to the roots of plants....as advertised. But.....do you want a constant flow of water going to say a cactus succulent? No. The only plant I own that wants tons of water on demand are my two brugmansias, they are in HEAVEN!!! I keep the globes on those 2 year round. The rest of my house plants I water once a week, some heavily and some lightly. The aqua globes don't have a heavy or light option. They are NOT suitable for every day use.

In my particular case,I went on vacation for three weeks. The globes were a life saver!!!! Now they are put away. I travel at least twice a year, that's the only time I will be using them on all of my plants.

Yes, they do clog full of dirt the first time you insert them. So....you pull it out, use an ice pick to clean the dirt out, reinsert it....then your fine. Even clogged, the water will still find it's way through the dirt to the plant, because of gravity. :0)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks for your personal review on them Nicole. It sounds like they might be just the thing to use on the once or twice a year(vacation)option/alternative that some people are looking for. Its good to know that when you don't want to bother a friend or neighbor, especially for people that only have a few houseplants, it could mean survival or losing the plant. Unfortunately, for me I have waaay too many plants...I've crossed that line of no return, lol...

• nicole__
    15 years ago

This post reminds me of a guy I used to work with: He invented a solar powered horse feeder,for grain. The problem is....if the food sitting in the feeder became moldy or fermented it could kill the horse. So a person needed to be there to check the feed, hence the purpose of the feeder was NOT useful. :0)

• nicoleabrahms
    10 years ago

I think it has been said before - have the soil thoroughly wet and poke a hole before inserting these. We put them around pots for mother who can't get out in her yard and refill them on our weekly visit. So far so good. They are a little hard to fill -- if you can find a funnel with a very small end that speeds it up a lot. Very pretty.

We purchased ours from www.galleydirect.com in their gardening section

Here is a link that might be useful: Galley Direct Gardening Decor

• WISHITWASAUTUMN
    10 years ago

I have found they work really well in my hanging baskets and potted plants, that is, until they chip or break. Once that angled end has been compromised, they no longer work. I tried, but the water just ends on coming right out.

You do have to remember to water your water globes though, (as someone else put). Lol. I had to laugh at that one, as I forget to refill mine at times. Yes... I'm guilty of not watering my water globes! My reminder is when i look over and see my plants starting to wither up. I do strive to do better though.