Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Pink Spathiphyllum

garyfla_gw
11 years ago

Hi
Run accross a couple of these at HD among the standard whites Thought they were anthuriums at first.lol Anyone heard of this or are they dyed?? gary

Comments (15)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Gary,
    Is it possible they're Aglaonemas? I know some of their leaves kind of looks like Spathiphyllum. Below is a link to a picture of one of Exotic Angel's varieties that is pink. If not, I'd love to see a photo of those, our HD doesn't have them!

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: Aglaonema

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    feel sure they were PL,medium sized variety, were mixed in among the regular whites only the spathe was pink leaves looked quite ordinary. as usual for the box stores had no names lol A lot of dyed flowers have been showing up including orchids , poinsettia, mums though the PL didn't looked dyed.
    Was tempted to get one but the check out line was a block long and I was supposed to be there to pick up a toilet kit ,wasn't even supposed to be looking at plants lol.
    Have never heard of any color except white for Pl so natually they caught my eye Most of the plants for HD are produced by Costa Color out of Miami but they are wholesale only so don't have much of a catalog.

After the Christmas madness I'll take a camera with me
    Want to get a pic of the seeding Bismark palm anyway.
    Thanks gary

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Gary,
    In that case, I'd love to see a photo! Our HDs (we only have two) rarely have anything unique (well, I did find a variegated African Violet the other week... that's a first in about 3 years that I found something unique there). I can't say that our Lowes has those pink PLs.

I know the feeling "not supposed to be looking for plants" I was returning one this morning (which by the way, forgot to bring the plant with me to return it... doh) and found a PL/pothos combo pot on sale for $7.50 (my Mother will gladly take the 'Marble Queen' Pothos). Not that I needed another PL let alone I wasn't supposed to be looking...

Planto

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

I've seen those at our local Lowes and wondered the same thing! Can't wait for an answer! ( also ill take a pic the next time I see them if I get to the store before you!)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Could the pink plants be Anthurium? Toni

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Merry Xmas to All,

Hi Toni,

Pls. re-read the opening comment:

"Hi

Run accross a couple of these at HD among the standard whites Thought they were anthuriums at first. lol Anyone heard of this or are they dyed?? gary"

He opens w/ the idea it might be Anthurium, maybe you missed it?

Sorry Gary, I don't know, nor have I seen it yet.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    Certainly could be an anthurium since there are around a gazillion kinds lol They commonly have red/pink/ white /green/ bicolored spathes .The leaf structure was identical to a PL though. Thought mabe a pink was something I'd missed ?? I have seen varigated leaf forms of Pl but only white for the spathe . Wouldn't rule out dyed as i have seen them with "glitter" particularly at christmas lol Thanks gary

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Well.... The ones I thought were pink pl were anthuriums as suspected. Took pics of two different sizes

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

The bigger one

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Belated, Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah!

Karen, once again, I missed Gary mention of Anthurium. Thanks for the correction.

Gary, there's also a purple flowering Anthurium.
    Yep, I notice big-box stores are dying and spraying sprinkles on blooms and leaves. Especially Orchids and Poinsettias.
    Some people love dyed plants..oh well... :)

Rachel..both Anthuriums are so very pretty..the second plant looke like it's red flowered??? The first looks pink?
    Is it the camera, lighting or are they two diferent colors? Toni

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Toni: they were both "in the pink family", but yes the bigger one was more red. I just hope one of the two is close to what Gary saw!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Rachael...Although pink is pretty, red is outstanding. I once had a red-flowered Anthurium potted in a clay pot. Every winter it'd send out beautiful, deep, yet shiny red blooms.

One winter day, our dog knocked it down breaking Anthurium and its container. I repotted in a similiar pot/size, 'not clay,' but it died.

Although I have a few Anthuriums they look nowhere as pretty and healthy as my old, red Anthurium. boohoo. :(

Are you planning on buying one of the two Anthuriums? Assuming you snapped photos at the store.

Gary, when you have time, can you post pics? Toni

Get both..lol.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi
    Went back to HD yeasterday armed with camera . Not a one in sight lol No mention of them in Costas catalog.
    Of course it never helps to ask a clerk except for directions to the restroom . All have known that!! lol gary

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Gary: are my pics above different from what you saw?

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi
    Yes , That's a trailing anthurium. These were a "baby 'pink much softer than pink anthurium. The leaves and stature of the plant was exactly like a medium spath. There are self heading and upright anthuriums but usually the leaves are longer than the stem. this plant was like a PL except for the color of the spathe.. i've heard from others that there are pale green, cream bicolored and yellow but weren't aware of a pink.. i personally have only seen white though in a stretch they might be called cream. The giant ones in particular.
    Wish i'd bought it now !!! I figure somebody i is working on other colors as I write ?? thanks gary