Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandi_s1

Aloe smells like ONION!

mandi_s1
17 years ago

It's GROSS. I was reading that they are a part of the onion family rather than the cactus family, so I can see that it's not unreasonable, but the stench is.

I cut a bunch of leaves yesterday from it, fearing that the same leaf blight from another of my plant had infected it. I cut one from the base, and one near a tip. The one at the base had a yellow sap, and the one at the tip was clear.

But humugudness. ONION. Savoya-reek. How can I make this go away, or am I stuck with a reeky aloe? I'd keep it anyways, but all the same...

Comments (24)

• mandi_s1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Positive it's an aloe, positive its realated to onions and lilys, but still no clue as to why it's so much more ridiculously stinky than other aloes.

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

Reading this post made me do a quick research on the subject, ha, come to find out, the aloe IS a member of the lily and onion family and is also related to garlic and asparagus! Who knew? But I also read that your aloe should not smell like an onion. Do you have a picture you can post of your aloe vera?

Billy Rae

• mandi_s1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here it be...
    {{gwi:115184}}

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

That is strange that your aloe has the scent of an onion! After reading your post, I totally agreed with pirate girl about it NOT be related to an onion, just the lily family.
    Your aloe looks healthy enough though. Maybe if you don't cut it the scent won't be so noticeable. I have to wonder if you aloe absorbed the scent from something, or real onions at some point, who knows for sure.
    When soil gets old and breaks down, it can get a strong musty scent (wouldn't say an oniony scent) If it's really the plant and not the soil, I don't know what to tell you, keep it further away fro you, or keep it in a room less used if it bothers you!
    Like suggested, try posting this question if you haven't already on the C & S forum.

Billy Rae

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

You know I've noticed that weird onion like smell in some of my pots after I watered. I figured it came from the perlite because I only noticed it after watering and on pots I had just mixed the soil for. Then again it could have been something in the C&S soil I used too. How weird.

• mandi_s1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's not noticeable unless it's cut. No cutty, no stinky so guess that is the short term soloution. The pot itself has no smell. Just the inside of the plant.

I guess it's just not an altruistic aloe, and has decided to protect itself from my skin healing impulses with some stench. :-(

The thickness of the older leaves makes me wonder if maybe it was an already existing build up from the nursery I got it from. I don't want to cut into any of the new growth though to test the theory, so I guess I'll just have to deal.

Could it be something to do with being grown indoors? I don't remember if it smelled the same way when it was outdoors this summer.

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

No, not an indoor thing, as I only grow indoors (am apmt dweller, w/ no outdoors to offer them).

When I pull a leaf for a burn, I'll grant you it's not a subtle smell, but I consider it sort of an Aloey smell, like if you buy Aloe gel for first aid, etc.

I guess the answer for you is, get your nose out of the plant!!! (only teasing)

• plantfreak727
    17 years ago

Aloe smells like onion? gee thats nasty

But i have saviored the stench of an aloe plant before, it was when i went to Arizona. There was an Aloe plant growing outside in the hotel i was staying in. I removed a leaf just for the hell of it. I must admit, the smell of it was quite nasty. So, do not fear, your not the only one with a smelly Aloe plant.

- Pete

• spiritualcipher
    16 years ago

My aloe plant smelled like onion too. It was so bad I had to air out my entire place. It started when i cut a leaf a few leaves off the plant and noticed the sap was yellow.

I live in an apartment and so i potted it back up and put it out in the buildings sunny hallway. Im hoping someone saves it. I will keep watering it until someoe does, but i dont want the plant any longer. That smell is hard to get over.

I have the worse luck with cacti and succulents.

• pealow
    16 years ago

I use my aloe for burns and cuts. When I snip off a piece of leaf the gel inside does have an oniony smell. The first time I did it it smelled gross but now it does not bother me. Can't beat them for killing the pain of a minor burn, especially when you keep a piece in the fridge.

Paula

• selene_thesilent
    16 years ago

I have a plant that I can't identify. I was hoping that you folks might be able to help out. It looks much like an aloe plant but the leaves or narrower or skinner. Also it white ridges that go up the stem horizontally. If my first one wasn't a gift then it probably had a label. That was years ago. Now I give away the groupings of them that I take out of the pot and can't tell anyone what I'm giving them. Any clue?

• spiritualcipher
    16 years ago

got a pic? im so bad with descriptions, but im getting really good at sight identification

• rjm710
    16 years ago

I've never noticed an onion smell with Aloes, but I suppose it's possible. BTW, Aloes used to be in the Lily Family, but are now in their own family, Asphodelaceae, along with Gasteria and Haworthia. Selene's plant is likely to be Haworthia attenuata, based on the description provided.
    Ray

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Since we're discussing Aloes, do variegated types work for medicinal purposes too, or just the green?
    I'm going to cut a piece of my green aloe and take a sniff..you ppl got me curious now..lol..I've cut pieces before, but never smelled an onion odor..But gonna give it a try..Toni

• rjm710
    16 years ago

Most Aloe sap comes from a few species, such as Aloe vera and Aloe arborescens. I believe some species have sap which can be an irritant.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

The "medicinal Aloe" that is on display in botanical gardens in Arizona is Aloe barbadensis, isn't it? I think?

• Debbra Gore
    6 years ago

I have several pieces of aloe in my freezer..to use for burns or rash. Never before today have I noticed an oniony smell..this particular leaf was from a pup ..I have an itchy rash from some hotel lotion I used over the wkend. I immediately got a bigger one from the freezer..no oniony smell.

• PRO
    Free Lancer
    6 years ago

I just cut a piece from my plant, first time, squeeze the gel out, put it on my hand, and suddenly......my whole body, office, building! smell like onions! the plant if very very healthy, looking good etc, can not get the onion smell out of my hands!

• PRO
    Free Lancer
    6 years ago

Aloe Vera’s Close Relatives

Although aloe vera is no longer considered a member of the Lily family (Liliaceae), the succulent is still related to the lily family as well as to many other plants, including but not limited to:

• onion
    • garlic
    • asparagus
  • PRO
    Real
    5 years ago

Although aloe vera is no longer considered a member of the Lily family (Liliaceae), the succulent is still related to the lily family as well as to many other plants, including but not limited to: onion. garlic. asparagus.Mar 13, 2014

• PRO
    Real
    5 years ago

So yes it is still a member ofof the lily family and

• PRO
    Real
    5 years ago

It must be the soil the aloe plant was potted in I'm guessing that's making it come off smelling like a onion and I've noticed with my aunts it isn't clear or green either weird colored aloe and I googled onion smelling aloe plant and it's what brought me to these questions on it because kI was searching for answers as well to this smell myself.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    5 years ago

Kingdom:
    Plantae
    Clade:
    Angiosperms
    Clade:
    Monocots
    Order:
    Asparagales
    Family:
    Asphodelaceae