Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with parlour palm

Posted by Christelle86 none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 7:59

I bought this palm a while ago. It`s making a lot of new leaves but the leaves all have white spots on them. I had it in a sement pot, but replanted it today.... I cant understand what the spots are. Its like the leave are losing its colour and one of the new leaves came out almost white. Please help I really don`t want to kill it, its a beautiful plant!
I tried posting a picture but I`m doing something wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with parlour palm

Christelle86, the white spots on the leaves could be a symptom of spider-mites. However the emergent white leaf can indicate a genetic condition. Have a look at this site.
Link

o

pH induced nutrient deficiencies

Symptoms - High medium pH can induce deficiencies of manganese and iron may cause interveinal chlorosis of young foliage. As deficiencies become more severe, necrotic spots will appear within the chlorotic tissue.

Control - Maintaining soil pH below 7 will improve the availability of iron and manganese and slow the leaching of magnesium. Application of the appropriate nutrient will correct a problem, but palm response tends to be slow. Foliar sprays will hasten color improvement compared to soil application, but use low rates of application rates to avoid phytotoxicity from the sprayed materials.

I think this is my problem. Will give it some epsom salts. Thank you very much for your help!

o

Please post pictures. Without them you'll receive only guesses.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 24, 11 at 14:05

..... agree. Taking a SWAG at what might be the problem and then acting on it, especially when the grower approaches the problem with the thought in mind that it must be a singular nutrient at issue that needs correcting, more often leads to disappointment or even more severe limitations than to improvement. It's a good possibility that through additional dialog and photos a probable cause or two can be isolated and some remedial direction given.
Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here