Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to keep house plants

Posted by hayleykas (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 8:54

Hello guys I was wondering if you could help me with how I'm holding my house plants. We did originally have stones at the bottom sides and above the soil but as of today we've drained our plants of the smelly water and are trying to work out what to do. At the moment we have stones at the bottom with the brown pot with soil and the plant on top... Shall we completely get rid of the stones and just have soil everywhere? I've added a picture of one of the plants and how they are now. Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to keep house plants

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 12:17

Any pot your plant is actually IN should have a drain hole. If that pot is slipped into another pot (that would be a cache pot), it's ok, but you need to do a few things to keep the plant healthy and to keep the fungaluglies from invading - not to mention fungus gnats.

The best way to handle cache pots & stones would be to remove the plant's pot from the cache pot and water it thoroughly. Wait for it to stop draining, then return it to the cache pot and add the stones around the sides. That way, the stones never get wet, roots won't rot as a result of excess water in the cache pot, and fungus gnats won't have a breeding orgy in the wet stones.

See below if your soil is staying wet for too long, which has a significant impact on vitality, growth, and appearance.

Tip: Try this > Water your plant until it's saturated. Set it in the sink until it stops draining. Tilt the pot at a 45* angle and watch how much more water exits the drain. This trick can be of considerable help in keeping your plants healthy if you're using a soil that holds too much water.

Tip: To be employed for the same reason > Water your plant until it's saturated. Set it in the sink until it stops draining. Take pot in hand and hold it over the sink. Lower the pot slowly, then reverse directions sharply and lift the pot. The water in the pot, once moving downward, will want to keep moving downward (Newton's first law of motion - An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction ....), so as you reverse the pots direction to up instead of down, much of the excess water will exit the pot. Repeat until no more water exits the drain. You can remove even MORE excess water this way than by tilting the pot.

More tips in the link below .......

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me to see what he's talking about ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here